If you've been asked to do a job and have agreed to do it, should you...

If you've been asked to do a job and have agreed to do it, should you

• pay someone who actually knows what he's doing to do it for you and take a %

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • do it and not care one bit how it comes out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • know how to do it

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • not show up at the shoot and blame it on your pet hedgehog getting an upset stomach and having to ta

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Point is, there are times in this world when a little bit of good ole fashion shame has it's place. Folks seem to have forgot that and you can see how the tone of society has changed. People make mistakes, that is a given, but there are some people in this world that abuse the privledge. Ignoring some things does not make things better it just promotes the same kind of behavior in others.

Being rude is not necessary, but pointing out a few facts of life, while it may seem harsh, serves a purpose for the whole, be it a forum like this or society in general.

The problem is too many like to be the ones to point out the fault and be harsh. Thus you end up with someone getting mobbed on by a pack of hounds. Even if each replier manages (and they never do) to remain polite the combined effect is similar to a single strong insult. And when someone is new and can't judge peoples views for views and not insult - well - its no surprise that they either leave or fight back (and the inevitable result of that is a long drawn out thread and a lock at the end).

Those seeking to make TPF an elite place - eh - you're doing it totally wrong if you think the way forward is to scare new people away. That only ever kills a forum. If you want the higher class you gotta first make the enticing threads to talk on the level with them.

Over, I don't really think that is what happens here...in order words I don't see it like a gang-bang. I see many more one- on one conflicts that flare, but not mobbing. I also do not think that anyone wants anyone to go and I dont think the intent, generally, is anything more than one saying to another, what have you done than to come here for free advice.

Now I know that many forums are here for interaction and free advice, but that does not negate the self-propelled work that people must do to determine if the plug is in the socket before they start to cry for help that it doesn't work.

Don't twist it around, but YES, if you are not prepared to put in the time and effort and want to just use Cliff Notes, then sorry for ya. If you think there are details or protocols that can be skipped or missed in Photography, then I'm really intested in a few examples from you.

What do you gain by being rude and demeaning?

With who and when?

GeorgieGirl said:
MWAC's???

Seriously hilarious! Had to share to lighten the mood:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Point is, there are times in this world when a little bit of good ole fashion shame has it's place. Folks seem to have forgot that and you can see how the tone of society has changed. People make mistakes, that is a given, but there are some people in this world that abuse the privledge. Ignoring some things does not make things better it just promotes the same kind of behavior in others.

Being rude is not necessary, but pointing out a few facts of life, while it may seem harsh, serves a purpose for the whole, be it a forum like this or society in general.
I dont disagree with that statement one bit. That was not the point. There a just a few that can only slam certain people but never offer anything constructive. Its a fad of a few. The "Exclusive Club" :lmao: What a joke.
It's not even about photography or this forum. It's about being respectable or being a self righteous jerk.

There is no Fad or Club. If you want to go and answer questions to suit, go and do that, no one is stopping you. Do it your way and 'rise above' so you feel better and more righteous than those you detest.

Ya know what's just as bad as those stupid questions being asked over and over?
The number of time threads like this appear with people arguing about how other people respond to posts.

You know what? Same rule applies. If you don't like how people respond to posts, don't read them!

It's more fun to argue about though isn't it?

Yeah.

It is.

Be honest with yourself.

Now go out there and make a difference!!!

OH YEAH!!!!
Well Let Me Tell You Something!!!:lol::lol::lmao:

Bitter Jeweler said:
Ya know what's just as bad as those stupid questions being asked over and over?
The number of time threads like this appear with people arguing about how other people respond to posts.

You know what? Same rule applies. If you don't like how people respond to posts, don't read them!

It's more fun to argue about though isn't it?

Yeah.

It is.

Be honest with yourself.

Now go out there and make a difference!!!

^^^^ good debate though.

I dont disagree with that statement one bit. That was not the point. There a just a few that can only slam certain people but never offer anything constructive. Its a fad of a few. The "Exclusive Club" :lmao: What a joke.
It's not even about photography or this forum. It's about being respectable or being a self righteous jerk.

There is no Fad or Club. If you want to go and answer questions to suit, go and do that, no one is stopping you. Do it your way and 'rise above' so you feel better and more righteous than those you detest.
It's pointless to continue. Some just want to argue.
Have a nice evening.

Well, the reality is that, often times, a beginner won't know what they need to ask, or what information they need to have.

And they get raked over the coals for it...

Working on reading the full thread now, but in response to this early comment, there is one simple answer to every time a situation like this comes up. Buy a book.

Let's say a complete beginner asks 'What could I have done differently to make this better?' A fairly benign and common question. It shows the person knows that there is room to improve and wants to learn. On the surface, any un-helpful response is a slap in the face. But then again, lets look at the answer.

Usually, it will start with exposure, where one would suggest a different aperture or shutter speed, etc...but then it has to be explained how to balance it. Then, it has to be explained how each of those settings work together and what parts of the image they influence. Then we have to talk about ISO for when the scene has low light. Then, once we finished that, we have to explain composition. From there, we need to explain lighting. Some time during all of that, we should probably talk about tripods, flash, hand-holding technique, etc. You know, just basic stuff. Once we finish with that, we will need to discuss post-processing, what programs to use, how to use them, and what works for what images. Crap, we still haven't talked about focus...ok, we'll get to that later. Then, if we are feeling really generous, we could go into color space, bit depth, the difference between processing for display on the web and processing for print.

Only one problem. The thread is now 300 pages long and it contains the exact same info as any beginner photography book.

Edited to add: after reading the entire thread, I see that I forgot that we still need to explain white balance, color temperatures, CRI, should probably go into more detail in lighting, need to definitely discuss posing, then we need to talk about shooting at different times of the day.

Damn...On second thought, maybe they should just buy a book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back