Ignorance is bliss

I had a deep fried mars bar once!

It was actually pretty ok!

I was reading your rant and went through the same thing, except I was in England!

Every time I go over I end up having some very strange experience, and it always starts with my "accent".
Try to order an Iced tea in a local pub, that was a fun and very long conversation!! I can't remember how many times the guy at the bar asked me to say antibiotics.
Then we had the washroom incident with the very scary lady, not sure how I made it out of that one without hurting her!!!

I guess my point is that your "accent" is relative to where you are in the world. And from what I've learned is that it's a certain kind of person that does this, not a group as a whole.

Most people were very polite, but did ask where I was from, funny all guessed the U.S. and only a few were rude/annoying about things.

Now how's going to share that deep fried Mars bar?????

they deep fry everything up there, even pizza and Mars bars

they've actually started boiling and steaming them these days in an effort to promote healthly living

I was reading your rant and went through the same thing, except I was in England!

Every time I go over I end up having some very strange experience, and it always starts with my "accent".
Try to order an Iced tea in a local pub, that was a fun and very long conversation!! I can't remember how many times the guy at the bar asked me to say antibiotics.
Then we had the washroom incident with the very scary lady, not sure how I made it out of that one without hurting her!!!

I guess my point is that your "accent" is relative to where you are in the world. And from what I've learned is that it's a certain kind of person that does this, not a group as a whole.

Most people were very polite, but did ask where I was from, funny all guessed the U.S. and only a few were rude/annoying about things.

Now how's going to share that deep fried Mars bar?????

One of the very first things I said to my husband was "Can i have a glass of water, please" and he was like "huh?" and im like thinking...what, do u guys not have water?! Haha...I said it again and he was like "What do you want? Wah'ah?" and i found myself trying to speak all posh and propper just to get a glass of warteeeeeeeeer! hah....

Those kinda accent things are funny. He almost died laughing at me saying Radiator for christ sake! That was a standing joke for far too long.

Raaaaaaaaaaaay-Deeeeeee-Aaaaaaaaaaaaay-Teeeeeeeer!

i must say that I'm a sucker for a girl with english accent... just love it

i kind of have a bit of a accent here in puerto rico since my dad is spanish i tend to pronounce the "r" a lot (spanish is my first language), but here in puerto rico the slang is to change the pronunciation of the "r" for a "l"

sometimes people make fun of me because of that, i don't care but as you guys said, it can really get into your nerves sometimes, and when that happens i reply "at least i can speak spanish correctly", then they call me arrogant.. jaja people is so stupid sometimes

when i went to california this summer to visit my cousins, their friends kept making fun of me and my girlfriend's pronunciation, as i sometimes write here, my english isn't that good, neither my pronunciation so... they kept making fun of us until it really upsets me, then i remebered that they mentioned spanish class in high school and how hard was it so my answer to that was: "what other language do you speak then?? let me hear your spanish?? or maybe a little bit of french??...

of course they didn't anything besides english... and that was the last time they make fun of us jajajaja!!!

I really hate when someone thinks they're superior to others, specially americans (no offense), but i don't care since they're the idiots... none of them was at college, i'm talking about 19yo - 22yo boys who didn't even care about what to do with their life

nextt thing you know you'll be suggesting we all boil cabbage....oh...wait...

Funny how much this shows Spanish is your first language, indeed, to be typing the usual "haha" with "jota" :D I like to see this. Any time we had Paraguayan exchange students stay with us, in their e-mail home every time they expressed their "laughing" in this Spanish spelling. Fun to be finding it again.

And I think accents are funny. I once even planned to write my thesis about different English accents; in the end it turned out to be a thesis on a translation problem between German and Spanish, though.

Apart from that one guy in Texas who mistook me for a Scottish person, in Singapore Airport I asked someone where there were any public telephones in the transit area. There were none, but he took me to a higher class lounge and let me search the Singapore phone books there (could not find my friend, a pity), and asked on the way where I was from. When I replied "Germany" he said "Oh, you do not sound that at all. Germans normally sound very different." Ah well...

Most reactions

Back