Ilford HP5 400 and Pentax K1000 on a walk

manny212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out and about to explore with the Pentax and some Ilford black and white film . What a blast .

Found a local lad in Hollywood Fl. developed my film and gave me some rather large scans .

Anyhow am looking forward to continue exploring and learning the medium .

Oh very little if any editing in LR . straightened a couple and a tad of contrast on one or two .

Luca by manny herreria, on Flickr

South Beach by manny herreria, on Flickr

Miami Beach by manny herreria, on Flickr

Española way by manny herreria, on Flickr

Bistro by manny herreria, on Flickr

Cook by manny herreria, on Flickr

Ford Agency by manny herreria, on Flickr

Good eye for photography. :icon_thumbsup:
Your handling of this camera will need more training. In good light conditions exposure is OK. In more complicated highlights are overdone. There is no film development like own film development. Believe me.

Really like the last three. Nice job with the K1000! :D

Anyhow am looking forward to continue exploring and learning the medium .

Luca by manny herreria, on Flickr

Getting into developing your own b&w and printing is magic and empowering.

It requires some luck to find the basic hardware; a complete, functional enlarger, a few bits off of ebay, but they do come up if you keep looking.

You need to waste some paper and chems, invent some new swear word combinations (Paterson plastic reels), screw up some film. That costs a little bit. The price of entry.

Camera/lens kit can be very minimal; much less important than so many people say. An old 6x6 folder with a simple triplet lens can give amazing results (stopped-down scale focussing, sunny 16).

To cross reference your other recent thread (F2):

I'd dig up an old enlarger from somewhere, a job lot of darkroom junk off ebay for these days cheap money, and spend the rest on paper, developer, fix, 100' bulk film (get a loader, change bag) rather than a more expensive camera.

Last edited:
Thanks all , yes its kinda like learning everything again , but like all things , practice , practice , practice .

I'm taking a small notebook w me when shooting film and jotting down settings for a particular scene , etc . just to have a reference to help me in the future .

I do plan to into developing my own B&W as I hear its easier than color film . Thank you guys for taking the time to chime in .

Nice captures. Love the look of film. Developing is fun and interesting but I am challenged for time. I am on the hunt for a scanner. Doing my own prints is not in the cards currently, I just haven't the time. I downloaded the Craigslist app on my phone and enter all the cities I travel too. I picked up all the stuff needed to develop less the chemicals for $30 (included a pre-ai 50mm 1.4) in Canton OH and couple months back. Bottles, thermometer, beakers, hanging clips, changing bag, timer, etc. Lady had a ton of stuff from her late husband, unfortunately, majority of camera's and lens were in poor condition (fungus mainly) but all pro level stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DSLR scanning is the way to go, especially for b&w.If you already have a digital body, a manual focus macro lens and light source will come in under a scanner's cost. Ironically, the D7200 rig I use for 35mm and 120 scans has me shooting more film now--happily.

DSLR scanning is the way to go, especially for b&w.If you already have a digital body, a manual focus macro lens and light source will come in under a scanner's cost. Ironically, the D7200 rig I use for 35mm and 120 scans has me shooting more film now--happily.
This is the way I'm going. Trying an iPad on white screen to illuminate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I suggest taking it one step at a time. You're learning the camera and film characteristics. Give that a few more rolls to sink in. The next step is adding the developing. Take your time getting used to that. Eventually, then you can get to wet printing.

Doing everything yourself is great, but it can also be overwhelming to do it all at once. Work towards it, but do it at your own pace.

I suggest taking it one step at a time. You're learning the camera and film characteristics. Give that a few more rolls to sink in. The next step is adding the developing. Take your time getting used to that. Eventually, then you can get to wet printing.

Doing everything yourself is great, but it can also be overwhelming to do it all at once. Work towards it, but do it at your own pace.
Trust me brother no rush here [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14] just having a little fun. My digitals are still my money makers (If you can call it that! Hahaha!) just having a bit of fun. Who knows it might just be a phase. Next step I'll try my hand at developing b&w, that might just deter me hahaha[emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back