Ilford Survey Results

Why embarrassing? And what do apes have to do with film photography? (Wait, did somebody give Snerd a K1000 or something?)

It doesn't seem like it was exactly done using standard research measures. Seems to be representative of people who shoot film and found out about the survey somewhere online and decided what the heck l'lI go fill it out.

Encouraging though that plenty of younger photographers are into shooting film.

Probably a self-selected survey with all the problems that represents. What's embarrassing for cgw is the apparently fully legit uptick in film sales which ilford actually can measure exactly.

It doesn't sound like they're drawing any outlandish conclusions, in any case.

Looks like the usual newbie comments often posted on the interweb. Nothing wrong with that but not representative of the “old timers” who either never left film or returned to it. No mention of image quality (in that Ilford blurb anyway) or the various aesthetic factors of film images, film cameras, darkroom magic, etc.

But, an uptick is an uptick and, for whatever reason, it's OK with me. :)

Looks like the usual newbie comments often posted on the interweb. Nothing wrong with that but not representative of the “old timers” who either never left film or returned to it. No mention of image quality (in that Ilford blurb anyway) or the various aesthetic factors of film images, film cameras, darkroom magic, etc.
I don't think they are voicing anything new but their's old believes. They don't have to worry of "old timers", they shoot film for different reasons, reasons which young generation can't really comprehend. Which is too bad as it might help them with "going against the grain" of popular and easy.
Sales maybe up, but not in Toronto, we are very much into glitz of new. Sorry Ilford.

In city today (calgary) and went to favourite photo store for film and chemistry. Refrigerated case gone and replaced with various shoe boxes on open shelves. Was the 'frig really out for repair as they said or are times changing...
Film use and availability, at least mail order, will continue far enough into the future to amuse most of us old guys but I'm sure that when I'm done with them the next stop for my film gobbling friends will be the landfill.

Probably a self-selected survey with all the problems that represents. What's embarrassing for cgw is the apparently fully legit uptick in film sales which ilford actually can measure exactly.

It doesn't sound like they're drawing any outlandish conclusions, in any case.
Film is very popular in the UK and Europe the US is way behind

In city today (calgary) and went to favourite photo store for film and chemistry. Refrigerated case gone and replaced with various shoe boxes on open shelves. Was the 'frig really out for repair as they said or are times changing...
Film use and availability, at least mail order, will continue far enough into the future to amuse most of us old guys but I'm sure that when I'm done with them the next stop for my film gobbling friends will be the landfill.
I can get all types of film within 15 miles of where I live

I can get all types of film within 15 miles of where I live
You Gary stop waving red cloak in the front of bull. :allteeth:
Is good to know, that Europe keep us going with film, but we still have Photographer's Formulary, the only place on Earth, where one can buy real photo chemicals and there is enough film in US for us, we are just spread over a larger territory. Canada is a different matter, population is different, with different dreams and understanding of life.

I certainly do not. cgw is the one who's going on and on about how it's just a trivial blip. cgw is the embarrassed one here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back