I'll be watching your responses like a hawk

stick35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got lucky with this guy sitting there for about 10 minutes only about 40 feet away. I was all set up to catch him taking off when a guy walked up with his dog. I turned my head for a second to say something to the guy and the hawk knew he had me - gone! :?

This was taken with my 70-300mm lens at 300mm and it shows why I am dying to get a 500 or 600mm lens.

hawk.jpg

Very nice DOF, and I totally understand why you want a better zoom lens.

I took some pictures of a Bald Eagle last year out walking and didn't have a good enough zoom either.

The hawk has an excellent expression and the lighting and colors are quite nice.

I don't know what it is. I'm not even positive that it's a hawk. It's a good 12-16 inches tall.

Yep, that's a hawk. I admire folks that can get good pics of birds, they always move just when you need them to stay still. And a nice telephoto lens, one that will get the best results, is going to cost and arm and a leg.

Nice image! Of course we can always tell ourselves how the image could have been better, but let yourself be pleased with this one. For where you were standing and what you had on hand, you did well. :thumbsup:

He looks like a red-tail to me, btw, because of the reddish spots. He's beautiful and you were lucky to get within 40 feet. I love walking in the woods with Odin, but I don't bother bringing my camera because I know our crashing steps are effectively chasing everything away. :?

Good work!

Most reactions

Back