"Ill have to ask for youre film as well..."

d1a1s1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So theres this abandoned "Insane Asylum" in CT that I drive by twice a day. There are signs posted all over it stating that its state property and there should be no trespassing. Its a whole compound of old condemned hospital buildings over grown with plants and trees. I cant pass by it without a strong urge to penetrate the compound and take a series of spooky black and whites.
Today I found myself driving home from work early and decided to pull off the road. I grabbed my tri-pod and camera and headed in. Now, Im not one to believe in ghosts or hauntings but this place instantly creeped me out...loved it!
As soon as I set up my first shot for an HDR a security vehicle pulled up with the drivers hands waving. He explained to me that this was private property and I was not only trespassing but any photography was prohibited. "Damn!"
Then he said "Ill have to ask you for your film as well."
So heres a thumbs up :thumbup: for digital and another for my D40 having an LCD screen :thumbup:. I showed him I had no pictures on my card and off I went.
Mark my words TPF, I will get some pics of that place!! :grumpy:

I could be wrong...but even if you had taken some shots...I don't think he would have any legal right to take your film (or card etc).

He can certainly ask you to leave the private property though.

Im not sure about the legality of the situation...but heres a pic of the compound from across the river. Its not in the picture but this place even has an old pier extending into the river...Ive got to get in there!

DSC_0043.jpg

ok, the 'getting in' part isn't legal. photographing it from public property is legal. to breach private property lines to photograph isn't legal.

I read about this a long time ago. No, they do not have the right to take your film, it is your property. All they can do is ask you to stop what you are doing and leave or charge you with trespassing. But they cant take away your property.

From what I know it would be illegal for you to trespass on the property but the act of taking pictures while trespassing is perfectly legal. It's like saying you break into a house and eat a sandwich your brought with you. They aren't going to charge you with illegal consumption of a sandwich:lmao::lmao: just breaking and entering

And they are not allowed to take your film either. If they try to persist, this is just a security guard remember, they don't have the authority to do much except for call the police.

btw that picture looks awesome. You need to get yourself in there

From what I know it would be illegal for you to trespass on the property but the act of taking pictures while trespassing is perfectly legal. It's like saying you break into a house and eat a sandwich your brought with you. They aren't going to charge you with illegal consumption of a sandwich:lmao::lmao: just breaking and entering

And they are not allowed to take your film either. If they try to persist, this is just a security guard remember, they don't have the authority to do much except for call the police.

btw that picture looks awesome. You need to get yourself in there

Its my Unicorn! Its a great place...better than any Hollywood set could pull off. Wait..are you an instigator?! :D

act insane.... they'll let you in. Only problem is the Hollywood movie style typical backfire when they don't let you out.

I went to an Elton John concert with my mom once and she had her 35mm with her. THey let her in with it and no one said anything so she didnt think anything of it. Then a security guard there saw her with it and threatened to take it!
She was like 'over me dead body!' So they then said ok they would lock it up in a trailer behind the venue. She said 'I dont think so" so they settled on taking the film from it - which sucked cause there was other stuff on there - and letting her take her camera back to the lawn seats with us.
DUH they're dumb - she could have had more film back at the seats. But anyhow - I wonder if it was legal for them to do that?
hmmmm......

Speak with the people in charge of the property. Explain your intentions. I have photographed in a lot of areas. Found out that all you have to do is ask permission.

Luv & Bass

It is often little more than a safety issue. If you go on there and hurt yourself, they are responsible. In Australia the torts law says to overcome the problem you need to make a reasonable attempt at protecting people. In this case if you go in and sign something to say you won't sue the owner if you fall and die then they may not care any more.

I showed him I had no pictures on my card and off I went.

well, legally speaking in most countries on this planet you cannot be forced to erase images. nor can the equipment be taken from you. Security often tries to convince you they have the right, but actually they have not in most cases.

Most reactions

Back