"Ill have to ask for youre film as well..."

Fair enough, who actually owns and who is in charge of the property?

I'm thinking here that maybe a spread to shop to Hollywood for location prospects might work. Might also need to know what other information Hollywood would need to consider the location for a location. Anyone know what that might be?

mike

I hate to tell you but most cops make it a point to separate them from the rest of society.

Not to mention the "PBA" cards which cops hand out to their friends and families. For those who don't know what a "PBA" card, they are often referred to as "Get out of Jail" cards... even better.. you don't even get asked to step out of your car. I've literally had people get (acquaintences.. sadly enough) into my car and say "go ahead and speed, I've got my card with me".

Subculture? Sheesh.. more like a fraternaty of thugs with a badge.

So back on topic,

So MysteryScribe (as you seem to be the expert on this topic), lets paint a picture that the police officer requesting your film is obviously wrong. Letsay you were taking a photo from a public area into a private area (nothing bad.. letsay an abandoned building). A police officer requests that your roll be turned over. Then what? How would you handle that situation? Obviously the intimidation tactics you describe can be used trespassing or not.

Me the first thing I do whenever I engage a police officer is to ask for their name and badge number. If they ask for my film, I'll hand it over to them informing them that they have no right to take my property but I am handing it over to him/her at their request. Inform them that they are legally obliged to return the property undamaged. Thankfully, this has only happened once and did not result in property damage.

On trespassing, I've been "caught" numerous times usually by the property owner or security. I always politely state that I am a photographer who means no harm and start walking immediately off the property. They have no right to do anything more than ask you to leave.

First of all im no expert on anything. second of all you sound like a reasonable individual and its what I would recommend. Make a mild objection and then hand over your film. Get his name number or unit number. unless things have changed all cops will be wearing name tag you dont even have to make an issue of it.

Then its a simple matter to drive to the statiion house and talk to the desk sargant who will send you to the shift supervisor most likely he will call in the officer and if you truly have not broken any law the cop should say yes I took his film because I wasn't sure. the shift supervisor should make the decission. If you have been polite there is no reason they would give you a hard time it would amount to a misunderstanding.

As to being on private property it becomes tresspass if you are asked to leave by either written or verbal request by the owner and refuse to do so. If you had not been in a tresspass situation there would be no reason for a cop to be there. They seldom go onto private property without a request. Even in the middle of the night the most a cop will do usually is fill out and fi card and ask you to leave since it is private property. If you refuse to leave for some reason that sounds unreasonable he might charge you with tresspass. That is my experience with it anyway others might have differnt ones. However... there is that attitude test thing. Now I know you don't like to hear that, but it's best to just be polite and go along then assert your rights later. Seriously they can make it very uncomfortable and believe it or not magistrates and cops are a tight knit group usually. You might win at trial but like I said why bother over a two dollar roll of film. Or cleaning a card of shots you shouldn't have made anyway.

Now guys this truly is my last statement on this... have fun

sincerely the
jack booted thug.

I would have simply written you a ticket for reckless driving and let you explain it to the judge. You probably would have gotten off after your explaination but still wasted a day in court.

reminds me of a sunday morning back when I was a JACK BOOTED THUG. Man runs a stopsign early in the morning. I pulled him over to give him a warning. First thing he says is, "Do you know who the hell I am."

That could get you in trouble in this country. Don't get me wrong I am no one special, but in this case the officer himself failed the attitude test. A day in court is nothing compared to a mark on a permanent record. I am glad your reality of officers abusing their rights and bullying others is different than mine.

That could get you in trouble in this country. Don't get me wrong I am no one special, but in this case the officer himself failed the attitude test. A day in court is nothing compared to a mark on a permanent record. I am glad your reality of officers abusing their rights and bullying others is different than mine.

I think, Garbz, that you would really want to avoid American customs when it comes to "attitude"....much worse.

skieur

Most reactions

Back