illegal to take pictures in public places

Skyeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
yesterday i had my camera on the subway here in boston. i took a picture of my friend and an MBTA police officer imediatly came over to me and asked me to go with her and "cooperate" they wanted me to take the film out of it, but i protested as it was for school. they told me it was illegal to use cameras on public property, such as train stations due to the federal antiterrorism laws or somthing.....has anyone ever herd of anythig like that?

That a good question, but it’s actually two scenarios, take photos on “public property” and on “public transportation”. IMO on “public property” is legal. Now the transportation question is whole different question with current world we live in.

I've seen lot's of stories like this. Photogs shooting national landmarks are getting hassled.

This sucks. You could research the laws; make sure the officer isn't misinformed. These laws are new, and I doubt everyone understands them.

You will probably find that even though your tax dollars paid for the subway, it's actually owned by a private corporation, so technically you're on private property.

The masses have decided that it's okay to supress freedom and information because freedom and information are very dangerous. If this p*sses you off, then about the only thing you can do is try to raise a stink. If you could find a local reporter interested in your experience...

I wonder if you could get permission to photograph if you could prove you're not a terrorist? Submit to a background check; "Well, Boss, turns out he is just a local photography student, and not the international terrorist we initially took him for."

The masses have decided that it's okay to supress freedom and information because freedom and information are very dangerous.

:LOL: Stick 'em, Matt!!!

Skyeg: stories like this are indeed on the rise; I am waiting for the day when street photography is flatout outlawed. :? Unless we raise a stink, trust me, it'll happen.

You no doubt encountered a security-type person who, while well-intentioned (because he'd no doubt been lectured to keep his eyes open for *suspicious* behavior, in light of recent international subway and train events) is probably misinformed. An instance where, even though he probably figured you weren't breaking any particular law, he felt justified in what he was doing. A better trained officer might not have reacted this way; I think the petty invasions will come from these kinds of security types.

Are you going to pursue it? You should. Call the place and see if you can get an idea of what their actual policy is on passengers with cameras: if they don't have one, call a reporter like Matt suggested.

This is such bullsh*t!! Someone else had a similar story recently, I can't recall who it was...

How much more did they hassle you? How long did they detain you? You got to keep your film, right? You should definitely look into it more and figure out where the issue is. The officers may need more training (and to get off their highhorse power trips). This is why we need to see the Patriot Act repealed, before all of our rights are eroded away!!
http://www.ccmep.org/2002_articles/General/120702_photograph_cheneys_hotel.htm

Its simple, welcome to republian freedom, or their version of it. If you want to change things, elect a democrat. Unfortunatly there were enough stupid people out there to believe that George Bush was the right man to lead this country LOL Most people i talk to who voted for Bush said they won't make the same mistake again.

Of course we all know that Jeb Bush and the state of Florida illegally stole the election. Perhaps as americans we should look into repelling the electoral college, without it we would have had a Gore presidency as well....

Skyeg said:
they told me it was illegal to use cameras on public property, such as train stations due to the federal antiterrorism laws or somthing.....has anyone ever herd of anythig like that?
If this is true it would be one of the stupidest laws I've heard of. Talk about an ineffective way to stop terrorism. The only thing it'll stop is people like us from taking pictures. There are so many other ways to get a copy of what a place looks like that this law is basically pointless.

Using an artist to sketch a drawing from memory comes to mind. Even a non artist can remember enough and sketch a basic "stick figure" drawing so that the need to take pictures would not be needed. Also digital cameras are so small now a days that someone could easily take pictures while hiding the camera in their coat without being noticed. I'm sure terrorists can think of many more ways so what's the point of having this law?

Harpper said:
Also digital cameras are so small now a days that someone could easily take pictures while hiding the camera in their coat without being noticed.

What about cell phone cams!?! Any one of those people yakking away on their cell phones could actually be photo-snappin' terrorists!!!

ksmattfish said:
What about cell phone cams!?! Any one of those people yakking away on their cell phones could actually be photo-snappin' terrorists!!!

Cell phones are actually banned from some public places in some states(correct me if I'm wrong of course) because there are some sick people out in the world out there that use their cell phone cameras for...uh... :?

Around here they don't really care where you take pictures but I'm sure they'll pass some sort of a law. I see plenty of people whip out camcorders wherever and I'm worried about being inconspicuous with a small digicam

Yes Oriecat this is all because of the Patriot act. This is insane we are loosing our country to fear, and GW is the pusher.

I live abroad right now GW being one of the reasons, the other is the bad economy (which IMHO is GW as well) And I am so saddened to see the freeist country on earth crumbling. I dont live in a free country and I see how things could be for the US and it aint pretty.

Kerry is our only hope to get out of this so all you out there Vote!

do a search for the photographers rights on google or something. i have a copy of that and some releases in my camera bag with me. then again, with the new world we're living in here, there may be exceptions.

for example, I live right outside nyc and a know for a matter of fact that you are not allowed to take photos on or of the bridges because there are actual signs there.

its sucks big time.

as far as i know, public property is open game, but if your state/area has a new law concernin terrorism then there might be an exception.

stick it to the man! fight the power! :D

spicychicken said:
for example, I live right outside nyc and a know for a matter of fact that you are not allowed to take photos on or of the bridges because there are actual signs there.

Makes sense, its not like there are a million pictures of every possible scene in ny or any city already. :0) better stop people from making any.

Most reactions

Back