Im 26!! I need some advice from and experienced photographer

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by vanillllaaa, Apr 19, 2004.

1. vanillllaaa

vanillllaaa TPF Noob!

I want a career change ! im 26 and would like to be a serious studio photographer .. please can someone give me some good advice?? x :roll:

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hi vanillaaa,

be prepared to have no money to your name....

:p

seriously, make sure you save up because the first years , i hear, are the toughest..

md

3. vanillllaaa

vanillllaaa TPF Noob!

yeah but I dont have to go to college to do that !! not full time ny way ! what do u do for a living ??????? :wink:

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

im a manager for an 8-9 billion dollar bank. i have no college degree...

its not about whether you have a degree or not...its about the need in your area for a studio photog. :lol:

md

5. vanillllaaa

vanillllaaa TPF Noob!

Well . im in central London so yeah .. theres gonna be work everywher.... I just dont know what the first step would be ..... I guess maybe to get an apprentaship on my day off ??? do u know ny studio photographers for magazines ??? :cry: hehe that sounds like a good job by the way !!

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd suggest learning about what a studio photographer does, first. I know several, and they spend very little of their time actually taking pictures. Much of it is actually prep work, from designing the shot to interacting with all the various people who have a say in what is to be produced.

In the movies you only see them firing like machine gun and yelling out "Good! Good! You're georgeous!", but that's just a very small part of what they do.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but there's a lot more frustration involved than people realize. Most clients go with established photographers that they've already worked with or have a good resumé. Starting as an assistant is usually the best way to go, though you won't be shooting.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And that's just studio time. There's a lot of work to be done before even getting in there.

8. jack

jack TPF Noob!

what ideas of your own have you ad so far V?
    the first thing anyone needs is a mind of there own after all.

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good q

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think an apprenticeship is probably a very good idea. Unfortunately you will be waiting in line behind the people who will do it full time for peanuts.

11. vanillllaaa

vanillllaaa TPF Noob!

Thank You for taking the time out to give me some advice , I have taken it all into consideration . I relise that like alot of things artistly , they are all competetive and are more difficlut to make a name for yourself in than out of the creative indusrtial world , however I wont let that dertire me .... if everybody that was an artist of some kind took on board how dificult it was to effectively break into the industry they wouldnt get anywher! ....... I know my dreams, myself and I have the dertimination to make it ! WATCH THIS SPACE! !!!!!!!!!!!!! x :bounce:

12. thebigbillybob

thebigbillybob TPF Noob!

i personally hope that when i become a sucessful photographer i never have to do stutio work... i want to do action photo and scenic those are the only 2 types of work im interested in really studio just seems like a lotta boring busy work and not enough fun i want to enjoy my job i realize a lot of studio photogrphers make mega BUCKS but its just not for me i want know my dream job would be to travel all aroun the world with a team or one pro snowboarder taking pics of them either that or to be the snowboarder... haha i hope im not even 18 so ne thing is possible