Im a beginner

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mike11165, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im a beginner, but I dont want to ask beginners for the questions I have so Im not on the beginner forum, sorry. I am about to go from simple portrait and family pictures to more complex outdoor/ low light level and sports shots. I want to buy a digital SLR camera and have many questions. I want to upgrade to this type of camera but dont want to buy more than I need (im looking at nikon d300 or canon EOS 30 D)... they both seem like more camera than I need, but yet dont want to feel an upgrade is needed in the next year or so as my skills advance. I have also been told to spend more money on the lens than the camera body because thats where the picture quality comes from.... is that true?

Help.. ideally lm looking for camera and lens in the 1000 combined range but can go higher if it makes sense for an amateur...thanks!

2. clarbin

clarbin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think you're gonna find a D300 with a lens for $1000.

The body alone is around $1600 at most places. Give or take.

3. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, that's what the D300 sells for at my work. 1648 or somethin'

The d200 just went on sale, down to 992..

4. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes i have been looking at that camera and it is more than the 1000 I was hoping to spend but is it worth the money over say a d40 or d50? thanks

5. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the D300 isn't even in the same class as the d40. D40 is very entry level, you'd outgrow it very quickly.

D300 is mid-level. So, yes it is worth the money over a d40, but so is a d80. (higher end entry level)

6. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes! the d40 etc. is pretty much plastic trash. Really like a toy camera. That doesn't mean it won't take pictures. It just means there are way too many missing features, build quality is LOW!!! and I don't believe they will hold their price over time like the D300. They're based on an inferior CCD instead of CMOS. They can't use all the Nikon lenses. I guess I'm a snob by a few of the reactions I get to my opinions about the entry level canon and nikon dSLRs but to me they pretty much classify as a rip-off. I think it would be different if they were $150 or $200 with kit lens but they're more around the $550 ~ $600 mark. To me (maybe only me) that's like selling a child's plastic guitar (total junk) for $500 in a toy shop and then hitting the advertising avenues with everything you're got to get kids to buy it. That doesn't mean the strings don't make noise. And the ads work, people buy it. I can't figure it out tho.

Just me I guess.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ill look into the d80's that sounds like about what I need, you have canons on your sig... is there a compatible canon you think i should look at... and can you tell me... is the lens more important than the body for high quality? thanks!

8. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bifurcator,I know im whipping you, but im like a sponge right now trying to soak up as much as possible... please explain
    ccd vs cmos. and thanks for your honety

9. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lenses are indeed more important than a super expensive body. The D80 is Nikon's only entry level that can use all their lens line-up with full autofocus and 100% metering, etc. It's a great one to look into.

As for Canon, eh.. their entry levels are kinda.. um.. lacking. I mean, they take great pictures, but feature wise the D80 just kind of wins out. I prefer Canon's full-frame cameras over Nikon's, but the D80 is pretty much king of the entry levels (in my opinion at least)

As for CCD vs CMOS, it's a different chip type, the major difference is colour accuracy. CMOS is superior in that regard.

10. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tolyk, that is the meat in the information hamburger I am hungry for my friend... I will focus my efforts towards a d80 and what is the different lens tech that nikon offers.. what is the dx tech? humble thanks from a beginner

11. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, that's a huge task to do right. A book or two maybe? Suffice to say that CCDs of that vintage are noisier, slower, less accurate and produce more heat than modern CMOS chips. In a way we're also comparing old vrs. new tho as most newer cameras with an acceptable build quality use CMOS.

If you really are in sponge mode you should do youself two favors.

1. Go to the camera shops and handle the cameras yourself in person. This is crucial. Tap the bodies with your fingers - give them a thump. And play with all the knobs etc. Take sample pics. Then move to the next model and do the same.

2. Use the google search engine and read or skim as much material as you can.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  12. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for that advice and its not the first time i have heard that... two things... give me a good beginner book please for all around learning... two when i tap a camera, what am i listening for? Also, what features do you consider most important for a growing amateur to have on a camera? or better question.. what are the most difficult things that a professional controls themselves that an amateur should not attempt?