I'm a graphic designer, who never got into photography until now.

darthlafollette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I decided my portrfolio should start to have some photography. These are shots from around my parents house and various other spots in my home town. I of course did some photoshop work to them. I only have a regular Nikon digital camera for now.

Since I am new to this please give me your feedback but go kind of easy on me. ;)

Thanks

2894468764_d416bbcd67.jpg

2894468100_833378c478.jpg

2893626691_7e232cbe61.jpg

2894467216_13108f7c1f.jpg

2893627047_bcc7a19b9c.jpg

2893626121_fa7c66971f.jpg

2894466784_27bcc8931a.jpg

2893625729_f8f8c8a4ed.jpg

2894466208_69c9a310cf.jpg

2893625203_5e3fc1975a.jpg

2893625047_c68d486886.jpg

2893624873_47888088a6.jpg

2893624731_001e54c52a.jpg

2894468444_0de3981fa3.jpg

index.cfm

index.cfm

A small note: It's much easier to give (and receive) feedback if you number your shots.

That being said I'll offer some quick feedback on the first two:

I love the first one even though the composition might be a bit boring. This is just a striking shot with some good post.

The second one shouldn't be in your portfolio. That is a busy and confused (and confusing) image.

Nice, do the ones with the red barn and slanted (outhouse?) have just a gradient for the sky or did th sky really come out like that? I really love the colors on the red barn one, very HDR looking if you ask me.

Nick

Nice, do the ones with the red barn and slanted (outhouse?) have just a gradient for the sky or did th sky really come out like that? I really love the colors on the red barn one, very HDR looking if you ask me.

Nick

The sky in the outhouse needed some tweaking, but the blue sky in the red barn pic is all photoshop. Mainly due to it being a bleach white sky with the sun just overhead. The sun was washing out the top of the barn as well and had to be corrected.

1) Too many photos. Post one at a time and number them.

2) For a portfolio, I'd say you got some winners and some not so winners. Maybe try culling those that don't feel as "solid" as some of the winners.

3) Disregard #1 and post however the hell you want to. Someone will say something.

4) I dig the barn, but not so much the gradient sky which looks VERY post-p'd - which I'm guessing might be the point?

well it doesn't look too bad as far as integrating the gradient with the barn as far as the edges go but it does look too simple and post processed to give the full effect I think you were after. I wonder what that picture would look like with synthetic lightning and clouds in photoshop as a background. If you can make those and have time, post a sample. I think It would add to the mysteriousness of the barn.

Nick

well it doesn't look too bad as far as integrating the gradient with the barn as far as the edges go but it does look too simple and post processed to give the full effect I think you were after. I wonder what that picture would look like with synthetic lightning and clouds in photoshop as a background. If you can make those and have time, post a sample. I think It would add to the mysteriousness of the barn.

Nick

I am inclined to agree. But trust me when I say it is a tremendous improvement. I thought I would have to scrap the whole pic at first. I plan on tweaking a few of these pics some more and give your suggestion a try. Thanks.

i believe you, i'm sure there is reasoning behind your action. I have not had to compose a portfolio as I do this as a hobby but if I were to compile my portfolio and I had serious doubts about a photo, then I know others would too so I would say to pick the ones you feel strongest about and go from there. People look at a portfolio with a critical eye. If you notice something, theres no doubt the other person will too, an most likely notice something else as well. Only savor your absolute most impressive photographs. I'll stay tuned for any updates,

Nick

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many pictures. Post fewer of them per thread next time and you will likely get some more specific critique... one at a time is my favorite, personally.

That aside, some general comments...

1. Welcome to hell, my friend. I know a couple graphic designers that plunge into this area and they tend to have an amazing eye and get driven absolutely insane by the technical aspects of the process. Keep your head about you, remain calm, don't give up. :)

2. Get a polarizing filter. Some of your shots are taken in midday and the harsh light kinda kills the pic.

3. Try to take shots at dawn/dusk, you'll get more dramatic light.

4. Try to keep the sun at your back or at worst to your sides- you'll get nice blue skies. (polarizing filter will amplify this effect, btw)

5. Don't oversharpen. A lot of these images are -way- oversharpened. Zoom in to 100%. If you see a "halo" effect around the edges of your shot, you may have gone too far. Also experiment with Smart Sharpen vs Unsharp Mask... in certain shots one or the other MAY have a better effect, but it varies.

6. I think your shots tend to lean towards "too busy", but I think the sharpening is amplifying this a bit. Example is all the grass or weeds right in the frame on some of the subjects. (unavoidable on some, I know) Try to simplify your subject when you can.

7. Some, but not all, of your shots are dead-centered. This -can- kill a shot. The best example might be that smokehouse or whatever it is. It's a -really- cool little shot, but I think it's killed a bit by being dead-center in the frame.

8. I would personally try to avoid "bleeding over" too much into your graphics design background. This is photography, not a course in photoshop tricks. Try to get the best image you can, and then if and when you decide you need that shot in something you are doing in "your other career", do whatever you need to do to make it fit the needs of your piece.

I think you (as many graphics professionals do) have a lot of potential. Many of these are either nice, or damned close to nice. Keep at it. Keep posting. I look forward to seeing more of your results.

Hi Darth.... same field as you. 15 years graphic design, 1 year doing photography and found more of a passion for photos than graphics these days. I must be getting burnt out with GD.

Nice photos... and I believe Manaheim has some great pointers.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have made some changes to most of them. Mostly toning down the sharpness a bit. Also the most mjor changes are in these two:

2895726122_a0909a409b.jpg

2894886841_1a8c95d512.jpg

I'm liking the sky much better in the first.

Most reactions

Back