I'm a noob, here's my first post of pics...

Vixen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my most recent self portrait with my analog slr. a Minolta Maxxum 400si
I know this isn't the greatest shot, but I thought I would put it up anyway, since I kinda like it...
00910006s.jpg

This is my dog... Once again its not the greatest shot. feel free to critique me on these, its been a long time since I've actually tried to take a good picture, so advice on what I'm doing wrong is good.

00910007s.jpg

index.html
index.html

and these last two are of my boyfriend. This first one has some pretty harsh shadows, and of course the window of the truck is dirty, but I like the idea anyway.

00910016s.jpg

00910018s.jpg

anyway, thats it for now. Let me know what you think. Especially if they're too big, should I be making smaller copies for posting on here?
Tell me what you think I should be doing more when I shoot, because its been a long time and I've forgotten a ton, it took me over an hour to figure out my manual focus when I finally tried to use it again, so I think I'm definately a noob!
Thanks!

*edit* These are on kodak b&w 400 film. Also I haven't done any photoshop editing of these yet.

bump!
I fixed my picture problem so they actually display now! :lol:

Well, IMHO, the subjects are too centered. I don't care too much for the first pic as a selfportrait (I mean, there's a camera blocking your face). I like #2 (except for the white thing next to his nose). #3 is too dark. And I like #4, but crop the coats.

But it's good to see you've picked up the camera. Happy shooting and keep sharing!

pascal

thanks! I definately agree about the centering thing, Its taking a bit to get back into a proper composition frame of mind when i've just been doing the point and shoot thing for too long now. and with the dark pic and cropping idea.
the white thing by my dogs face are qtips, he likes to chew on the clean ones. i probably should have moved them, but he probably would have woken up. but i agree they are distracting.
thanks for your critiques! :D

Four out of six photos display for me, but the middle ones just don't.
So I see you (or don't ...), your dog and your boy-friend.

The photo of your dog has too much background and that background is too cluttered. Plus the composition - but what's new? - is too centred. A bit of "creative cropping" might help.

Actually, of all those that I can see I like the one of you boy-friend driving best. I'd crop out the part behind his back since that is quite distracting from the otherwise very interesting play of light and many shadows on his face, and after that I would not even mind that the window behind him is not clean. ;)

I think you know that you're a real photographer once you've taken a "self portrait in the bathroom mirror with camera." Who else but a photographer would take a camera into the bathroom?

I don't mind the cluttered background in the dog photo, in fact I think it adds to the environmental flavor of the photo. It's dark so it is sort of subdued. I definately think the bright colored clothing on either side of the dog and Q-tips compete with the dog for the viewers' attention.

I like #3 the best. The deep shadows and outlining highlights work well in BW. I don't mind the dirty window; once again I think it adds to the envoronmental portrait aspect. I think you should explore this subject (boyfriend with truck) more.

This is my most recent self portrait with my analog slr. a Minolta Maxxum 400si
I know this isn't the greatest shot, but I thought I would put it up anyway, since I kinda like it...

never underestimate yourself!
everybody have to start somewhere.
you have good photoes over there.

Most reactions

Back