I'm an idiot! Beginner's mistake

ChrisF79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So tonight I packed up the tripod and camera and walked down to the beach to shoot some sunset shots. This is only my second outing with the camera and as I was taking the pictures I was amazed at how awesome they were on the 2.5" screen. Then I get them home and they look horrendous when bigger than 2.5"! I realized after the fact that my ISO was set to 3200!!!!

Anyway, take a look at this one and you'll see what I mean. I would have loved a print of this one for my condo but I'll have to try again some other day. Luckily the beach is only a mile away or so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24014293@N04/2282201249/in/set-72157603956608944/

So tonight I packed up the tripod and camera and walked down to the beach to shoot some sunset shots. This is only my second outing with the camera and as I was taking the pictures I was amazed at how awesome they were on the 2.5" screen. Then I get them home and they look horrendous when bigger than 2.5"! I realized after the fact that my ISO was set to 3200!!!!

Anyway, take a look at this one and you'll see what I mean. I would have loved a print of this one for my condo but I'll have to try again some other day. Luckily the beach is only a mile away or so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24014293@N04/2282201249/in/set-72157603956608944/

Actually, that's pretty good for ISO-3200. I would suggest that you move the horizon away from the center. Move it up or down, depending on whichever looks better.

In all honesty, I don't want to fix that image. This gives me even more motivation to get back out there this weekend and get it right.

I'll take your advice on the horizon though.

Thanks!

Very good for that high iso

Its a problem ive been having also...
Like ill whip out my camera to get a shot of my friend jumping his bike off a jump and as soon as hit the button i reallize its on iso 100 with a 15" shutter speed, haha

I guess that why they call point and shoots, point and shoots

Yeah it looks fine to me for ISO 3200...what body are you using?

I definitely concur with Socrates about moving the horizon. The rule of thirds is a good rule of thumb for pretty much everything.

I have done that before! I shot like 200 photos of this great park..all super high iso. You learn

Embarrassing as it may be, I still have to admit that forgetting to lower the ISO from some previous low light settings is not just a beginner's mistake ... :blulsh2: ... it is STILL happening to me at times... :roll:

Embarrassing as it may be, I still have to admit that forgetting to lower the ISO from some previous low light settings is not just a beginner's mistake ... :blulsh2: ... it is STILL happening to me at times... :roll:

Same here..:er:

I actually like that picture.

pascal

Yeah it looks fine to me for ISO 3200...what body are you using?

I definitely concur with Socrates about moving the horizon. The rule of thirds is a good rule of thumb for pretty much everything.

I'm using a Nikon D80 with an 18-55 Nikon VR lens.

wow....really not bad AT ALL for 3200 ISO lol. i didn't realize the D80 did that good of a job.

That's why I have my ISO warning set to 400, So I always know if I'm shooting at an ISO higher than 200 every time I look through the view finder.

Is that the Loch Ness monster in the sea on the right hand side?

(I wish the sea and the potential for such great shots was only a mile away from me).

I have done that one as well so its not an uncommon thing. It likely happens a little more often than we like to admit... lol

Most reactions

Back