I'm back & Best of 2008

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by parsec, Jan 14, 2009.

1. parsec

parsec TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone. I posted here once or twice a couple years ago, but haven't been around much lately. That doesn't mean I stopped shooting though, and I thought I would come back and get some input on my best shot from 2008:

[​IMG]

The story behind this one is kind of funny. I was in downtown Denver on a rainy day, taking some photos by Coors Field, when a limo drives up and out pop a bride and groom. I had about two seconds to take the shot as they ran inside. Anyway, I wish the woman in the middle wasn't there (she was holding up the bride's hair or something) and that the groom was closer, but you take what you get right? Anyway, thoughts and critiques are welcome.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    just a stab in the dark.. my guess is the middle lady was holding up her dress, not her hair.. she could be removed via photoshop i'm sure...

i'm not that great with photoshop, but i had a little play with it (5 minutes) so if you've got some photoshop know how, i'm sure you can do this better... i was going to move the groom closer, as you said you wished, but I like him far back... looks like a drama.. the bride is running away, and he's trying to catch her...

[​IMG]

just noticed that i forgot to get rid of the reflection of the second lady (on the sidewalk)

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Doesn't do much for me looks like you had a bad year

4. Kileki

Kileki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol...kinda harsh. But i do agree, if this is your best pic...then sorry. Not saying this is a bad picture but the best of one year of shooting? I know you got something better.

5. freeflydive

freeflydive TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow...what a cruel crowd! And to think that I depend on this forum to take my mind away from deployment life in Iraq!

Semper Fi!
    Majdi

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Sometimes you have to be harsh, i'm glad people were harsh with me when i started, I do like the brewerey

7. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    agreed gary....rather mediocre.

8. parsec

parsec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Being harsh is fine, and I agree that it's been a bad year (haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like thanks to work), but suggestions on what I could have done differently, or comments on why it's only mediocre, would be appreciated. I thought that's what the forum was about, but if I'm mistaken I can go somewhere else. I don't want that to come off as sour grapes, I'm honestly wondering if I misunderstood the purpose of this forum. I do have another shot that I like better, but it's of my dog and it's a pet peeve of mine when others post pictures of their dogs.

9. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    part of what im seeing is a very flat color pallette (looks a bit muddy)...like it's lacking a bit of contrast and some sat.

if you have some editing software, i would consider bumping up the contrast, maybe playing with the levels to bring out your blacks...try converting to BW to see if it helps it at all...maybe a different crop?

there are endless ways to PP a photo, and this one could use some.
    recognizing that is step 1.

i apologize if i came off like a dick, and hope that i have offered some ideas or directions to go to improve this particular photo.

10. parsec

parsec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since the first one was such a flop. Sorry for the subject matter, I know nobody really cares about my dog:
    [​IMG]

11. bevin

bevin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't be so presumptious... I love dog photos, especially when they're nice, rather than a snapshot. You've got a super cute dog and I think that photo is really good. I love that you've gone for a different angle and I'm definitely curious as to what the dog is so intently watching! :)

Your first one didn't do anything for me but I'm still a noob so I can't pinpoint exactly why. I think the composition is great but it didn't make me go 'oooh' if that makes sense??

12. tomhooper

tomhooper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What I see is a lot of dead space behind the groom. I like to see the subjects moving into the shot not out. That being said, I imagine if you had composed the picture in that manner, all you would have seen is a brick wall. Just my amateurish 2 cents.