I'm back! Portraits c&c

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by oD4000, Jan 23, 2010.

1. oD4000

oD4000 TPF Noob!

Hey guys. tried portraits this time. c&c please! thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks alot!!

PS. I guess uploading those from facebook wasn't a good idea.. pictues lose sharpness and quality.
    Where should I upload them?

2. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Try either photobucket or flickr

3. Noonz

Noonz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Alrighty, first of all, most of the images are under exposed (Try using a flash or position the model in the natural light.)

Secondly, the photos are pretty much all taken at the same height/angel, try different perspectives eg. higher shots, ground shots ect.

Concentrate more on the background and its surroundings as well as the subject matte - In the last photo i think it would have been better without that extra part of the wall to the left. It also would have looked good if you took it from a different angel (like from behind her capturing what she's looking at).

Last of all, consider using a tripod. Holding a camera level takes a lot of getting used to. In regards to the model, next time try and take more natural photos of her and not so much of her posing and looking into the camera :)

Overall, good effort! Be sure to keep trying okay! The key to photography is trial and error :D

All the best!

4. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1 For the above. In addition to Noonz comments...

I like the pose and background in two however the tilted background doesnt add to it IMO.

Great job caturing a nice expression on the model but the location seems a little odd to me. Look into DOF as it will allow you to narrow the focus on your subject and blur out the background which often can be distracting in indoor locations. For example if the truck and driveway etc were blured it might give a better feel because the viewer would only be focused on her expression.... Just my opinion, I am also a newby and am realizing quickly that we all have to learn the hard way so keep it up!

5. oD4000

oD4000 TPF Noob!

Thanks alot. How do you achieve better DOF?

6. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Google Exposure trio and in particular aperture.

The quick and dirty is that adjusting the apature on your camera changes the amount of your pic that is in focus or out of focus. A lower f number which depending on your lens would be around f1.5 to f5 (how appature is measured) would give you a narrow range of focus whereas a high f number f20 would give you a wide range of focus. For example with a low f number you could focus on a flower close to you and the bush that is behind it will be blurred. With a high f number the flower and bush would all be in focus and at first glance the viewer may not appreciate how pretty the flower looks because all the detail in the ugly bush is distracting their eyes.

haha that was poor please google a real explanation!

7. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    oops BTW DOF stands for Depthe Of Field and there are some helpfull youtube videos that break this down much better than me with examples

8. oD4000

oD4000 TPF Noob!

That was actually really helpful!! Thanks!!