I'm buying a camera: which format???

<------ 2008 Superglide Custom 105th.
CopyofPICT0478.jpg

but enough bragging... lol

When doing Large format, it isnt slow. my primary point is that because LF is so differant, it would be better to stick to a Med. Format system so as in order to stay with something somewaht familaiar. Unless you want to do serious still portrates at a wedding.

Going to KEH you can get some serious deals from a reputable company. At great prices.

My own personal opinion is that someone wanting to do weddings with something a bit more than 35mm, then the med. format is the best way. The LF is great for landscapes etc. but you can still get great glass like a1 80mm soft focus mamiya for less than a 500 dollar Sonar lens.

Besides.. the biggest reason for LF is the Tilt Shift aspect.

Last edited:
Beyond that, the fact that weddings go from a dark church with no flash photography allowed to the bright steps with people throwing rice means two cameras loaded and ready for those two scenarios in the case of 35mm, or one digital camera that can switch ISOs with the flip of a dial in an instant, as needed AND not have the grain of ASA1600 film.
That's a much better response to my question "Why not?" I'll buy that.

<------ 2008 Superglide Custom 105th.
CopyofPICT0478.jpg

but enough bragging... lol

When doing Large format, it isnt slow. my primary point is that because LF is so differant, it would be better to stick to a Med. Format system so as in order to stay with something somewaht familaiar. Unless you want to do serious still portrates at a wedding.

Going to KEH you can get some serious deals from a reputable company. At great prices.

My own personal opinion is that someone wanting to do weddings with something a bit more than 35mm, then the med. format is the best way. The LF is great for landscapes etc. but you can still get great glass like a1 80mm soft focus mamiya for less than a 500 dollar Sonar lens.

Besides.. the biggest reason for LF is the Tilt Shift aspect.
Ooo. It's been a long time since I could afford that king of iron. Actually the Super Glide belonged to a friend but he let me put a lot of miles one it. The biggest I ever owned is a 500. One is parked in my driveway now.

The biggest reason for LF is the resolution. Whatever! You go to your church; I'll go to mine.

First: As a shooter of all formats from micro to ULF I can tell you this.. You need to learn how to crawl before you can walk.

Well, I'm more of a "toddler" who learned how to walk, but doesn't know everything around the "house" yet :)

But thanks for all the suggestions, very valuable input. I made my decision to go in and give the MF a shot, I will be shopping for a body and lens in the next month or so, and I a semi-pro digital SLR is also on the horizon.

I am getting married in April, so after talking with my fiance, we agreed that we do need a digital, primarily for its versatility and speed, so we can snap pictures at parties, get togethers, etc. to our hearts content. But I have definitely graduated from point-and-shoots for good.

By the way I just uploaded some of my pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amazeimages

Last edited:
if it was me i would honestly just buy a new lens for 35mm if your still learning. i would think a large format camera would be expensive to learn on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back