I'm buying tripod tomorrow.. (under like $120) :-[)

I can appreciate your exuberance, but I also feel your questions have been answered by a multitude of members. Your choice is yours in the end. Partially because of you, I started a thread for a sale by Adorama on the 055XPROB legs. Add another $30 bucks and your golden. Otherwise, you must rely on your own experiences at the camera shop.

i read many articles and posts on the internet but i still had some questions that i wanted to ask.
basically.. i work a lot by the coast where it is often windy. my biggest fear is my tripod will just tip off in the middle of the beach

i read many articles and posts on the internet but i still had some questions that i wanted to ask.
basically.. i work a lot by the coast where it is often windy. my biggest fear is my tripod will just tip off in the middle of the beach

Make sure you get one with an anchor point then. It looks like a hook that hangs in the middle of the tripod below the head in between the legs. Then invest in a sand bag or make one that will work for your purposes

Make sure you get one with an anchor point then. It looks like a hook that hangs in the middle of the tripod below the head in between the legs. Then invest in a sand bag or make one that will work for your purposes

but what can i get without using that option within my budget?

Get a tripod that can extend the legs out to more than one position. Mine has three - all the way out the tripod is almost flat on the ground. Extending them to the middle position adds a ton of stability.

Anchor point is good too, like Mgw189 said. It can also usually be used to attach a carrying strap.

Get a tripod that can extend the legs out to more than one position. Mine has three - all the way out the tripod is almost flat on the ground. Extending them to the middle position adds a ton of stability.

Anchor point is good too, like Mgw189 said. It can also usually be used to attach a carrying strap.

i understand what you mean but what specific models are pretty good within my budget? i'm not trying to get the forum-ers to do all my research for me but i went to the shop today to check some tripods out but i honestly couldn't pick out the good ones from the bads (unless its like between $400 one to $60).
so i want to stay safe and buy one that is one that people have heard of bc if i don't buy it tomorrow, i won't get one for another few months (reasons with family things)

Bogen/Manfrotto tripods - a few to pick from in your price range.

I haven't used most of those before. It looks like the only reason that they're so cheap is that most of them have non-removable heads.

Edit
You'll probably be pretty safe with any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. Just pay attention to the weight capacity.

Bogen/Manfrotto tripods - a few to pick from in your price range.

I haven't used most of those before. It looks like the only reason that they're so cheap is that most of them have non-removable heads.

Edit
You'll probably be pretty safe with any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. Just pay attention to the weight capacity.

oh wow, i haven't seen a bogen/manfrotto that cheap, until you just showed me of course

You mentioned working by the coast and that it is often windy. I have lived near the coast and now live in Nebraska and both areas are very windy with strong gusts. I know, if you waited for a calm day to shoot it won't happen until a day that you can't be there to get your photo. You will have to shoot in the wind...its Murphy's Law:(. I can promise you that if you do not invest in a very good, heavy and stable tripod you will regret it. I would keep your $120 and save for a very good tripod. If you don't you will waste your $ and end up buying another one later. Like Mgw189 mentioned it would also be good to get one with an anchor point to hang a sandbag from for extra stability. Also you will want one with the height you need without extending the center column. Many years ago I took the cheap $30 route and now I have a very heavy stable $250 tripod and would not use anything else. The extra $ is very well worth it. Listen to the voices on this forum.

On the beach you could probably push the legs into the sand some. I'm sure that would help - at least a little.

I think this guy is just a troll.....
You have posted too many times, got very good answers and you continue to just drag on.
Here it is basically..... you get what you pay for. If you can,t afford a decent set-up, don't use one at all. Of you continue to hand hold, you will not drop your gear. You might not get great pictures but you will be safe.
If you want the forum to tell you that you will get a solid performing tripod that you will not have problems with, is so stable that you can put it in the sand and not have nay problems with the wind..... you won't find that advice.
So please......please.....please....STOP this thread!!!

...I wouldn't go as far as to say troll. Just a little too cautious about letting go of his money. Not too long ago he was asking similar questions about cameras (I wonder what you ended up getting...?) - I think this is just a picky guy (or gal) that is afraid of wasting money on a bad purchase. Unfortunately, we can't guide you through it all the way. Research will only get you so far. You're going to have to just pick one and see if you like it. Cost is a good indicator of quality, but not always the best one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back