I'm buying tripod tomorrow.. (under like $120) :-[)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by a1157814a, Jan 2, 2009.

1. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

Can I get a pretty stable tripod for that price?

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can appreciate your exuberance, but I also feel your questions have been answered by a multitude of members. Your choice is yours in the end. Partially because of you, I started a thread for a sale by Adorama on the 055XPROB legs. Add another $30 bucks and your golden. Otherwise, you must rely on your own experiences at the camera shop.

3. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

i read many articles and posts on the internet but i still had some questions that i wanted to ask.
    basically.. i work a lot by the coast where it is often windy. my biggest fear is my tripod will just tip off in the middle of the beach

4. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Make sure you get one with an anchor point then. It looks like a hook that hangs in the middle of the tripod below the head in between the legs. Then invest in a sand bag or make one that will work for your purposes

5. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

but what can i get without using that option within my budget?

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get a tripod that can extend the legs out to more than one position. Mine has three - all the way out the tripod is almost flat on the ground. Extending them to the middle position adds a ton of stability.

Anchor point is good too, like Mgw189 said. It can also usually be used to attach a carrying strap.

7. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

i understand what you mean but what specific models are pretty good within my budget? i'm not trying to get the forum-ers to do all my research for me but i went to the shop today to check some tripods out but i honestly couldn't pick out the good ones from the bads (unless its like between $400 one to $60).
    so i want to stay safe and buy one that is one that people have heard of bc if i don't buy it tomorrow, i won't get one for another few months (reasons with family things)

8. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bogen/Manfrotto tripods - a few to pick from in your price range.

I haven't used most of those before. It looks like the only reason that they're so cheap is that most of them have non-removable heads.

Edit
    You'll probably be pretty safe with any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. Just pay attention to the weight capacity.

9. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

oh wow, i haven't seen a bogen/manfrotto that cheap, until you just showed me of course

10. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another thing to consider is how tall you want the tripod to be. Some of those look a little short to me.

11. McKaso

McKaso TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You mentioned working by the coast and that it is often windy. I have lived near the coast and now live in Nebraska and both areas are very windy with strong gusts. I know, if you waited for a calm day to shoot it won't happen until a day that you can't be there to get your photo. You will have to shoot in the wind...its Murphy's Law:(. I can promise you that if you do not invest in a very good, heavy and stable tripod you will regret it. I would keep your $120 and save for a very good tripod. If you don't you will waste your $ and end up buying another one later. Like Mgw189 mentioned it would also be good to get one with an anchor point to hang a sandbag from for extra stability. Also you will want one with the height you need without extending the center column. Many years ago I took the cheap $30 route and now I have a very heavy stable $250 tripod and would not use anything else. The extra $ is very well worth it. Listen to the voices on this forum.

12. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On the beach you could probably push the legs into the sand some. I'm sure that would help - at least a little.