Im designing camera bags. Any requests?

I have a smaller pack that I like. I have yet to find a shoulder bag I really like (although my Tamrac is close). Should also hold a 15" laptop.

I was thinking of making the bag/bags capable of attaching differant compartments when you need certin things on the go ..... like a netbook or laptop. I would only have to figure out how to make a quality piece that could be seprated from the bag and still be functional.

Tamrac has a component system that I don't like because everything flops around. If you're going to do it, make sure each piece anchors well (maybe with excessive velcro).

the main problem with bags is the cheap materials and subpar protection they offer for a premium price. I plan on using mainly hemp in my designs. I will most likely have an interlocking system for a bag that is capable of having attachments

concealed but easily accessable compartment for my "second shooter" heheh... seriously though.

what would you expect the form factor of a dual camera bag to be? backpack, rolling luggage, etc?

I like a camera bag which is a backpack when I need to carry a lot of gears at one point. So it should have a place for the tripod too.

I like a camera bag that I am on a trip that I can carry few lenses, flash and a body with grip. And have pockets that I can have spare flash card, batteries ...

I like a camera bag that is not too big but enough for me to walk around daily. One body, one standard zoom, 1 prime and a flash.

Both a shoulder and a belt strap would be nice. Not only to help with distributing the load but to secure the bag while moving through crowds (i.e. receptions).

Room for two bodies -lens down for easy access-, an extra lens compartment for an ultra wide, a space for battery packs or extra flash batteries.

A bottom compartment that zips open at an end but has a pull out plastic drawer with compartments for loose items such as filters, clips, cards, camera batteries, memory cards/hard drives and so forth.

Pouches on the outside for clamps and gaffer's tape (black and white) and I'd be good. :)

Much of the photography I do involves being very active on a trail. I do a lot of hiking and low mountaineering and when I'm out, especially in the winter, it's difficult to document the trip without falling behind or holding everyone up. In addition to this, I need to carry other gear with my photo stuff. If I could have the perfect bag, it would have room in an upper compartment for dry clothes, layers I've shed on the trail, a little food, an extra liter of water, a map, compass, small first aid kit. This is actually very realistic for a day pack. A smaller, lower compartment would be padded (especially on bottom) and have room for an extra body, wide angle and normal primes, and a small, slightly telephoto zoom lens, plus accessories like extra cards, batteries, lens cloth/cleaner, polarizing filter(s). This pouch would be front loading to allow for ease of access from behind or on the ground. Plus side pockets capable of holding various equipment, like possibly a lens or skinny water bottle.

The shoulder straps would include reinforcing to accommodate heavier loads (a weakness in many packs, unfortunately), a small chest strap to keep the shoulder straps on, and, more uniquely, reinforced heavy duty loops (preferably metal/plastic) along the length so that I could hook a body and water bottles on them, along with an extra pouch to keep an extra lens in. I'm not talking one or two loops, I'm thinking more in terms of a bandolier for the adaptability.

The loops would allow me to have a secure place to keep the camera when I wasn't holding it. Often when on a trail I need to use two hands to navigate, and the camera just flops around my neck. This is annoying and the strap is too long for when I'm not totally upright. The loops would allow me to keep the camera closer to my body when scrambling and to keep it close to snapping shots on the fly and swapping lenses on the fly via the detachable pouch.

LowePro has a few models that are very similar to what I like, but most, if not all, dedicate most of the pack to camera gear. Photo gear slots are essential, but there are other items to take into consideration that are must-haves when out in the wilderness and weight is a factor, hence the lack of a desire for room for a giant telephoto connected to a body. That would be great on a trail, but realistically they are too heavy when the photography is secondary to the destination.

Ha ha I know this is a tall order. I in no way expect you to take this as a request for a custom bag or want you to think that this is what you will need. These are merely considerations I take into account that may or may not possibly serve as food for thought for you or anyone else that reads this.

One similar the Tenba shootout backpack where it will carry two bodies with lenses attached and have quick access side pockets for extra lenses that can be accessed without taking the bag off your shoulders.... This is my biggest complaint about any other bag that I have seen is that you have to take the bag off and put it down to swap lenses.

The only other thing that I could wish for is an 8 point harness to keep the bag secure when hiking. (hip belt with pads and a strap across the chest)... oh, and breathable mesh for your back. No one likes sweaty people.

For zippers, use ones that have velcro on the tabs so that they can stick together making it harder for pick pockets.

I might add to this later... I'm way way too picky about bags. I've been trying to find one that I like for the past year. I've resorted to taking the camera dividers out of my Tenba messanger bag and putting it into a OGIO Metro back pack.

I'm leaning towards either the Tenba Shootout or the KATA 3N1.

Most reactions

Back