I'm embarrassed to admit this...

I get off kilter many times. I even practiced trying to get it right, and when standing a=on level ground with the horizon level in the viewfinder, I noticed the camera felt slightly awkward. LOL It felt more "natural" with a slight tilt.

Not sure if that was conveyed right. What I mean is that if I hold the camera in what feels like a naturally level position, then look at the horizon....9 out of 10 times I am a couple degrees titled to the left. Darn near every time.

Derrick

I know exactly what you are trying to say. when i try to concentrate to make a level shot my hold and level feels very unnatural, it also feels like i am tilted to the right whereas actually it is a level shot.
Grids seem to help me a bit , but concentrating on the shot is the key i think.

I would have never guessed there would be so many people with similar problems.

i use PS to "make good" of all my goofy as mistakes. . .and this is one of them for me as well, vertical AND horizontal?!

I think the newer digital bodies (D700 and D90), have some sort of horizon marker that might help with this??

Well If you nail it every time shooting landscape, I'll bet that a vertical battery grip will help while shooting vertically.

i do my best to line things up with the AF squares in the viewfinder, but i often fine-tune in photoshop. i use the tape measure tool, find a nice straight reference in the pic, click the 2 ends, then click "rotate canvas > arbitrary..." and itll give u the angle u need to rotate it to level things out.

Most reactions

Back