I'm getting a D90! Need lens advice

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting a D90 :D
I would like to keep the total price to around $1300.
What lens should I get?
I mostly shoot people, critters, nature...75% of the time outside. Don't do any big landscapes really, but I do like to shoot in the city

Thanks for any advice

Possibly just get the body and the 50mm or the 60mm f/2.8 macro lens if thats what you really want to do. Or you could just get the camera and the kit lens and find out what you are really interested in and then save for a lens from there. GL
TJ

why are you thinking about that camera just curious? Don't you like the leica stuff you have?

why are you thinking about that camera just curious? Don't you like the leica stuff you have?

I'm keeping what I have.
I got to play with my BIL's 40D and D90 and I loved the D90...it just felt right.

What I have is fine, but (and I am obviously no pro) whatever I do I get really noisy pics at ISO 400. It is also a bit awkward for me to hold....which may sound silly, but the Nikon just felt better.

I am a big time newbie, but I am just in love with photography and I want something that is comfortable to hold and that I don't feel like I am always fighting with.

If you are looking to keep the price of the camera and lens at $1300, I would say the body and Nikon 50mm F/1.8. If you are saying $1300 for just the lens, Nikon 18-105 VR lens and 70-300 VR lens or Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 lens. JMO. Good luck.

Mark

Given your criteria, I would also say get the 50

Thanks. I am hoping to spend $1300 on body AND acessories
I've been cruising B&H trying to figure out what to gt.
What do you all think of this:
D90 body $815
Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4, $150
Nikon 70-300, $155
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Bower SFD35N, $65
Sto-Fen Omni Bounce OM-C, $17

Any opinions on any of this stuff?
TIA

A 28-70mm on a 1.5x camera like a D90 is not a very good walkaround lens unless you favor semi-wide to short telephoto looks. I would really suggest you go to Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide and look around for some of his lens reviews. Click on the small "nikon" tab at the top of the main page, and it will take you to reviews of some of the better 18-xx and 18-xxx Zoom~Nikkor lenses made especially for DX Nikon bodies.

The 28-70mm range is simply not very wide-angle, and the ratio is not very wide either. I really think an 18-70 would make more sense. And Nikon's lowest-cost 70-300, the older G-series lens--it's not very good above 200mm--all it shows is massive amounts of purple fringing, which is why it retails for so very little money. Sigma's 70-300mm APO is widely regarded as being one of the best lower-cost 70300's, but you need to get eh APO-designated model.

Thank you Derrel, I will check that page out. I am having a hard time because we have no local camera places here, and no one to ask, so I am trying to read reviews online (and ask here) and my head is starting to swim.
Do you have any opinions on the kit lense, 18-105mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX Nikkor lens?

Last edited:
Thank you Derrel, I will check that page out. I am having a had time because we have no local camera places here, and no one to ask, so I am trying to read reviews online (and ask here) and my head is starting to swim.
Do you have any opinions on the kit lense, 18-105mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX Nikkor lens?

The kit lens is not a bad lens by any means. It's not pro glass of course but it is a pretty good lens. It has m/a VR the front element doesn't rotate. I like it. It's a pretty decent zoom range as well.
tj

I bought the 18-105mm for my wife to use on her D40, after she kind of outgrew the 18-55 kit lens,and she kept borrowing my stuff. She favors a selective, telephoto look, but also wants wide-angle views as well, and her 55-200 VR was not wide enough obviously,and my 28-300 Tamron was NOT a very good lens...after reading the reviews, I decided the 18-105 offered the best all-around compromise for use on a small-body camera.

Wide enough, and long enough. Not too big. Not too heavy. Has Vibration Reduction. Images on the D40 made with this lens look surprisingly crisp. This is not a "pro" lens, but it had the range,size,weight,and VR that my wife wanted at a reasonable price for an all-in-one lens. It's not world-beater, but it was decidedly better than the 28-300 Tamron I got for $100 used and later passed on to a nice lady I know who is grandkid-photo-crazy and really,really digs the 200-300 range for T-ball and youth soccer snaps, flower pics, travel to the beach and lake,etc.

Thanks again for the advice. I *think* I am going to go with the kit and then add to it.
I am very excited!
But, of course just when I was getting psyched for something new I had a really good day with my current camera...

If you're only gonna get one lens for your D90, the 16-85mm Nikkor would be my pick.

The kit 18-105 is very versatile. Unless you know you only need something much shorter why not give yourself the option. You can always sell it later if you decide you really want something else. It's a great walk around lens if you know you don't need extended zoom range.

Most reactions

Back