i'm going to the beach but...

readysetgo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey, at the end of may for my birthday i'm going with family down to the beach...i really want to get good water photos but i was just playing around with my camera taking shots of water running and it just makes the water invisible like...i read that you need a shutter speed of 1/2000 but my camera (olympus e-510) doesnt seem to have that setting...
i hope some one here can help....thanks from casey.

p.s i was also wondering if the lens you use effects the settings on the camera?

hey, at the end of may for my birthday i'm going with family down to the beach...i really want to get good water photos but i was just playing around with my camera taking shots of water running and it just makes the water invisible like...i read that you need a shutter speed of 1/2000 but my camera (olympus e-510) doesnt seem to have that setting...
i hope some one here can help....thanks from casey.

p.s i was also wondering if the lens you use effects the settings on the camera?

I don't know what you mean by running water. The longer the shutter speed, the more motion you will get from the water in your photo (instead of 1/2000th of a second worth of motion, you'll get 1/1000th or 1/500th. Slower shutter speeds are less likely to freeze your subject (is this what you mean)?

If you can somehow get your photo to take shots somewhere around 1/4 or a second and lower, you will get a white color to your water, and it will start to look really soft, like a blanket or something). But I don't know if that will work at the beach (more for rivers and waterfalls, where the water is going from one place to another).

BTW, I want your camera. :)

I don't know what you mean by running water. The longer the shutter speed, the more motion you will get from the water in your photo (instead of 1/2000th of a second worth of motion, you'll get 1/1000th or 1/500th. Slower shutter speeds are less likely to freeze your subject (is this what you mean)?

If you can somehow get your photo to take shots somewhere around 1/4 or a second and lower, you will get a white color to your water, and it will start to look really soft, like a blanket or something). But I don't know if that will work at the beach (more for rivers and waterfalls, where the water is going from one place to another).

BTW, I want your camera. :)

by running water i mean i got mum to hold a jug up in the air while i take photos haha....im strange i know but i wanted to test first.
yes i want the "freezed" look but i really dont understand shutter speeds.
haha yeah i wanted my camera but now i think i have got something to complecated for me .
from casey.

by running water i mean i got mum to hold a jug up in the air while i take photos haha....im strange i know but i wanted to test first.
yes i want the "freezed" look but i really dont understand shutter speeds.
haha yeah i wanted my camera but now i think i have got something to complecated for me .
from casey.

Part of the problem is water from a jug is clear. So you are getting what you would see with your own eyes. If it were something like a river, you may get more white in your photo. As far as the beach, I REALLY think you'll be fine! Beaches have so much sunlight, its sometimes too much. Fast shutter speeds are not a problem there. And I'm sure you're smart enough to operate your camera. SLRs are complicated, but fortunately they put some "brain-free" modes in there so you can still have fun while learning at the same time.

And if you feel overwhelmed, just relax, breathe in and out, and do the following. Go to the "Scene" dial on your camera, and on the back, it will put up a bunch of different scenes. Select "Beach and Snow" from the list, and start clicking! Using automatic modes will not make you a more knowledgeable photographer, but you're also trying to get good shots too, and when you have something planned like this, its better to take the safe route than "try something new," and totally mess it up. Remember the cardinal rule, "FUN FIRST!" (Safety second... jk)

And don't feel bad if your photos come out with harsh lighting, and not looking as smooth and refined as you might want. Beaches are THE most difficult places to get soft light from (cause the sun is beating down, the sand is reflecting, there's tons of parasols...ugh). Your photos may not be good enough to publish, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Just smile and click away.

And remember... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Its all about having fun!

Part of the problem is water from a jug is clear. So you are getting what you would see with your own eyes. If it were something like a river, you may get more white in your photo. As far as the beach, I REALLY think you'll be fine! Beaches have so much sunlight, its sometimes too much. Fast shutter speeds are not a problem there. And I'm sure you're smart enough to operate your camera. SLRs are complicated, but fortunately they put some "brain-free" modes in there so you can still have fun while learning at the same time.

And if you feel overwhelmed, just relax, breathe in and out, and do the following. Go to the "Scene" dial on your camera, and on the back, it will put up a bunch of different scenes. Select "Beach and Snow" from the list, and start clicking! Using automatic modes will not make you a more knowledgeable photographer, but you're also trying to get good shots too, and when you have something planned like this, its better to take the safe route than "try something new," and totally mess it up. Remember the cardinal rule, "FUN FIRST!" (Safety second... jk)

And don't feel bad if your photos come out with harsh lighting, and not looking as smooth and refined as you might want. Beaches are THE most difficult places to get soft light from (cause the sun is beating down, the sand is reflecting, there's tons of parasols...ugh). Your photos may not be good enough to publish, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Just smile and click away.

And remember... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Its all about having fun!
hey, thanks so much for responding to my question :)
also thanks for you kind words...to tell the truth im the type of person who tends to get a little to obbsessed and forget about fun.
thanks for the tip about using the beach snow setting i thought that the scene settings would make me an idiot but i guess i got to remember that im not going to the beach for a photo shoot for a mag ect...im going to enjoy my birthday and get some nice photos too.
thanks again from casey

Most reactions

New Topics

Back