I'm gonna cry.

Vintage gear still outperforms 99% of modern gear on the market(excluding most HT setups).
I started out with modern gear, and finally ended up getting rid of it all and buying vintage.

You can be an audiophile and have vintage gear too!

Here is my music reproducer. Stereo Equipment on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Glad to know you got it fixed Tangerini!

You can be an audiophile and have vintage gear too!

Up to a point.
Transistors develop noise with age - especially early ones. So the sound quality of lots of older amps starts to degrade. You get other problems with some soldered joints and other components too. As for VR wiper noise...
I went through a phase of having a valve amp but although the sound is good there are far too many other problems (warm up time, can't run them for too long, and so on).
I currently use an Audiolab 8000A which is about 15 years old and is very hard to beat for sound quality. :mrgreen:

Up to a point.
Transistors develop noise with age - especially early ones. So the sound quality of lots of older amps starts to degrade. You get other problems with some soldered joints and other components too. As for VR wiper noise...
I went through a phase of having a valve amp but although the sound is good there are far too many other problems (warm up time, can't run them for too long, and so on).
I currently use an Audiolab 8000A which is about 15 years old and is very hard to beat for sound quality. :mrgreen:
Indeed, that is a huge problem with the old stuff. I went through and replaced a majority of capacitors, and the the output transistors were bad in the spec-2, so I managed to source some decent replacements(NOS). Of course, DeOxit of all potentiometers and trim pots. I reflowed most of the solder joints I could get to, so i don't think that is going to be an issue. I also recapped the speaker crossovers and refoamed the woofers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back