im in a pickle, need help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by symbolicart, Mar 25, 2007.

1. symbolicart

symbolicart TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hello, this is my first post here but i have been lurking around for a while. I am in the process of buying my first dslr camera but i'm having a hard time deciding what i should get. I have been set on getting a nikon d50 but i dont know where to get one since they quit selling them. Is the d40 worth the money or should i wait and try to find a d50? I went today and held both of them at best buy, and love how the d50 feels. It was the display model and i dont feel comfortable buying that particular one. thanks for any help.

2. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

There is always the auction site, or B and H.

3. symbolicart

symbolicart TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i looked at the b&h site and didnt see any. I will be taking college courses soon in photography and need to know if the d40 is a good enough camera to eventually take a real high quality picture. Meaning are there good enough lenses to take it to the next level. thanks

4. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well you said you held them both at best buy.... doesn't that mean they are carrying it at best buy?

A lens will last forever its the body that you will eventually upgrade.

5. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd be shocked if you couldn't find one online from someplace like Adorama or B&H. But, yeah, if you held one doesn't that mean they have one?

How come you're going with the D50 instead of the D70 or 80? Money issue? I haven't kept up with what's out there or what they're going for... so, just curious.

6. symbolicart

symbolicart TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

thats what i am asking, if the d40 is a good enough body to take me to the next level when i'm ready. The d50 i held was the last one and i dont feel comfortable buying a display model. The reason why i cant buy a d70 or d80 is because im poor right now. I would love to but it would be a while before i could buy one.

So should i just get the d40 and wait for them to come out with more lenses or look for a d50 online? thanks for the help