I'm intimidated!

I've found that it is very hard to beat B&H for prices, quality and shipping. I've heard Adorama is very good as well but haven't ever bought from them. Lighting from Alienbees is also hard to beat for quality/price.

I prefer to buy from local shops, if the price is competitive. That way I can just go back to them, if there are any problems. I have ordered a few thing but shipping can be a pain when crossing borders.

Don't search the Internet and go with the lowest price. There are way too many scamer out there...who just advertise low prices to get the search engine shoppers. At the top of this page are links to B&H and Adorama. Those are both great places with fair prices.

OH thank you so much! and you nailed it i was looking on the internet! Thank you for saving me from doing something stupid! i will definitly check out those links on this page!

Thanks again to everyone for all your encouragement and great advice!

Sure... glad to help. I can speak for Adorama.com's quality. Adorama and B&H seem to be the more reputible companies if you want to order online and I've bought from Adorama several times. Maybe just check prices and see if either is offering any deals.

The only negative I can say about Adorama is that they don't provide tracking info, just a delivery confirmation (unless you get the more expensive shipping) but that's somewhat minor.

As far as equipment... if you're a Nikon user their 50mm primes get a lot of love on here. There's a f1.8 and f1.4 ... the 1.8 is typically sold for around $100. Might be worth considering for some studio shots.

Hmmm maybe I'll start a studio... ;)

Go for it! you Are all the way in Pennsylvania! ;) I'm not to worried, just don't start up down the street in my tiny town! :)

quick question i'm not sure what you are talking about when you say 50mm Primes?

A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens. For example a 50mm lens or a 28mm lens. On the other hand we have zoom lenses...which have an adjustable focal length. For example 18-55mm or 70-200mm.

Primes are usually of good optical quality (for the price) because they are less complicated than zoom lenses. For the same reason, prime lenses often have a bigger maximum aperture. Zoom lenses are more convenient however.

chris82 said:
What about in the U.K.I think there should be a link on the main page for U.K. dealers,Im not sure about ordering from america,the camera could get damaged on the way over.

Ever heard of Google?

Only 1 or 2 other photographers in the entire town?! I would jump on this!

A friend of mine started just like you, only he got into wedding photography. I've seen his pictures. They are good. They don't look amazing, however, but most of his customers seem to really love him. He started doing about 1 wedding every two or three months for the first year, but now (3 years later) he has between 1 and 2 weddings a week. He charges 2,000 a wedding...

It's really very doable. In terms of alternate ideas, try advertising to schools, churches, clubs, etc. I can't think of a school that doesn't need at least 3 photographers for year books and such.

In terms of the camera, I would wait for the new D200 to come out, and buy it then. You'll make the money back for yourself in the end, and I'm sure it would be worth it.

Oh, and don't buy a rebel XT. It isn't a professional camera and the silver model certainly doesn't look like one.

In terms of lenses, I think you might be better off spending 2,000 dollars on a prime lense, a super telephoto (600 - 800), and a standard zoom (600 - 800) instead of one expensive lense. You can buy 2,000 dollar lenses in the future, but starting out, you will need flexibility of several different lenses.

boclcown said:
In terms of lenses, I think you might be better off spending 2,000 dollars on a prime lense, a super telephoto (600 - 800), and a standard zoom (600 - 800) instead of one expensive lense. You can buy 2,000 dollar lenses in the future, but starting out, you will need flexibility of several different lenses.

What in the world would a starting out (let alone established) protrait or wedding photographer need with a 600-800 zoom unless that's a typo. The D200 is the least body you will want to start with I recently changed over to shooting digital after shooting weddings medium format for 6 years and I bought a D70s and regret it. The only consolation I will have when I eventually do purchase my D200 is that I have a backup wich is ESSENTIAL if you plan on doing weddings. A good setup to start out with I agree is a 50mm 1.8 amd mabye an 85 1.8 I have the 85 and love it but eventually you will need a good wide lens like the 28-80 2.8 and/or an ultra-wide like the 17-55 2.8 and then the 70-200 2.8 vr for weddings is good to have and that's befor you even get into lights!!. My suggestion is try the D200 body an SB800 and the 50mm 1.8 and see if anyone wants you to shoot their portrait try to get a reputation and a name for yourself and then talk about starting your own business.

I'm new to this forum but has anyone suggested good professional second hand gear from a reliable shop. A good way to get an excellent kit for a photography studio. I would suggest, if you are worried about faulty equipment, to buy a new camera body and secondhand lenses. You can't go too wrong with good s/h from a reliable shop that has checked them for moisture damage or scratches etc. This way you will get some exceptional equipment for your studio. For my photography business I'm always buying or trying different lenses etc. Quite often you can make the wrong choice when buying new lenses and find that they don't suit the type of photography you are doing.
You loose very little off a good second hand lenses than you would from a new one. Something to think about anyway. You are getting good advice from this forum. Good luck.

I was implying the price. His budget might be very different, though...

Anyways, why would anyone want to restrict themselves to a single type of photography?

I was mainly referring to the way you like to use your equipment, not necessarily the subject matter. Some people like using prime lenses, some don't. Some people use telephotos for sports, nature etc. It is really up to the individual to find out for themselves what they need. I have a personal preference for available or constant light with my work. Not that there is anything wrong with speedlights / flash units. Its just what I prefer. http://www.aaronphoto.co.nz currently all work viewed here, are available light shots.

Most reactions

Back