I'm just curious...

I look at everyone's avatar and see if it's hot. If it's not I don't comment.......lol JK

I bought CS4 first before any higher end lenses, and I am glad, because it helped me NOT hate my cheap glass quite as much. HAHA. Even with the "L" glass, I still post process, so its not like if I started out by buying high end glass, I would not have needed photoshop. If anything I may have expected the expensive glass to do too much and not have a firm understanding of editing RAW files. But thats just my experience.

Don't misunderstand. I do PP and I do it more all the time. I like GIMP and the other tools I have - though there are a few speed bumps to using opensource and linux that I sometimes wish I didn't have to deal with. I have been using Slackware for almost 8 years now and the steep learning curve of the OS was overcome a long time ago.

The issue is that there are some significant differences in naming convention and menu structure that make it hard for most people to easily cross walk from CS4/5 to GIMP. Basic stuff like USM settings can be very different between the 2. May as well just tell what needs fixin' and let me try to sort it all out.

I look at everyone's avatar and see if it's hot. If it's not I don't comment.......lol JK

Well, I'm sh!t out of luck then.
The skeleton playing a fiddle has got me beat by a mile.

;P

I will reply if I like a photo or not but other than that I feel that I have no reason to "edit" or provide comments to any photo because I am such a newbie myself :) Give me a few months ;)

What makes you decide to not comment on a C/C thread? Do you open it, look at the pictures and see nothing wrong? Do you open it and not find the pictures interesting? No time? For me sometimes it's not so much as I don't see anything wrong, but I don't know the correct way to fix it, so I'll come back to it later hoping someone who knows has posted.

Like I said, I'm curious. :)

I am taking c/c to mean critique and comment.

I will not comment for several reasons

1) When I think that the request for c/c is just a disguise for really wanting to show off what they consider a great photo. This is often substantiated when someone does suggest a deficiency and the original poster replies with some sort of "are you crazy blah blah" That is proof to me that they were just trying to show off what they think is great.

2) When very similar to 1) the person owns very expensive equipment and wants the world to know it. They post a relatively nice photo and then list the pedigree of all the equipment that went into getting the photo. As if knowing the name of the mega dollar tripod somehow is necessary for the critique.

3) The photo was posted by a bored person just trying to generate some interaction to pass the time.

BUT if I perceive that a beginner is genuinely struggling to grasp some concepts then I will critique. Or if an advanced person is seeking alternative crop ideas for example that the poster had not thought of previously. Things like that will cause me to offer a critique.
Exactly this - And like Bus_Rider said: If the photographers skill is beyond my imput... Somtimes ill just say "Awesome photo" or whatever but they probably know that. If I think of somthing that I think might be of some help then ill comment. Most the time i judt dont know what to say! haha "There somthing wrong but I dont know what..." = not very helpful! lol

What makes you decide to not comment on a C/C thread?.....

.......Do you open it and not find the pictures interesting?
That pretty much sums it up for me. But I don't open every single thread, so I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff I'm missing out on.

Another big reason I skip on C&C is too many images. If I'm scrolling and see more than 3 images, I usually just hit the back button.

Truthfully I think a lot of people comments when they first signed on and later on they slack off because the excitement is gone. I like to post comments on things I know or have opinion on but I wouldn't post stuff about how they should adjust their aperture, iso and etc because I don't even know myself. I feel that's how a lot of people are, they don't want to comment unless they're really good at it. I can only comment on the composition and picture itself, I'm new to this thing and don't want to say something I don't know anything about.

There will always be people who love and enjoy helping people out and there are people who just look and dont' want to comment. That's why there's people who become teachers and people who doesn't. Not everybody are meant to be teacher. Of course there's people who will hate and always comment on the negative things and never want to say positive things because of self-esteem or self-boosting issue. I believe if you're true to what you say, it's better to say the truth even if it's negative but you want to put it in a way that would help and encourage others than to say nothing at all. Nobody is perfect and photography the same, it's art. What may look awful to one but look amazing to the other. Take all the advice into consideration and help you become better. In the end you decide what is it you want to achieve, if what you want to achieve is not what everybody like than you need to say F it, I like what I'm doing. Stick to what make you happy but also be open to new ideas. That's my 2 cents.

I have been writing up responses and then wondering if my opinions are even valid and deleting them.... and waiting for more experienced people to respond.

Truthfully I think a lot of people comments when they first signed on and later on they slack off because the excitement is gone. I like to post comments on things I know or have opinion on but I wouldn't post stuff about how they should adjust their aperture, iso and etc because I don't even know myself. I feel that's how a lot of people are, they don't want to comment unless they're really good at it. I can only comment on the composition and picture itself, I'm new to this thing and don't want to say something I don't know anything about.

That is sort of how I am plus I like to get a feel for a place before I go and open my big mouth :lol:. Now posting on message boards/forums are nothing new to me as I am a adminsitrator on a college sports forum but for some people forums may still be a new things.

I have been writing up responses and then wondering if my opinions are even valid and deleting them.... and waiting for more experienced people to respond.

As a noob what I have been doing when someone ask for c&c is look at the pics and see if I notice anything that may be wrong. Then later I will come back and read the comments from the folks that have been doing photography longer than me to see if I was correct.

Most reactions

Back