I'm looking to buy a flash for my camera - any thoughts?

would the D40x have worked? I was gonna get that one as my first dslr, but the shop only had a D60!

No. The only way the popup can control a flash remotly without a hot shoe adaptor is optically (flash firing on the camera is seen by off camera flash and triggers it).

I think you have to step up to a D90 before you see internal wireless flash.

D50, D70, D80, D90 for consumer/prosumer bodies all have it in some form or another.

If it's important to you, you could sell your D60 for one of the above bodies - it would also allow you to auto focus older lenses without the internal focus motor built in.

I started with a D40 that didn't have it and upgraded to a D80 that did and it really is fun and convenient not having to use any additional hardware to make it work with compatible flash units (SB600, SB800, SB900, etc).

That said, I still use my SB400 most of the time (on camera).

It does get expensive though... an SB600 will run $170 or more right now usually (used).

-D60 do not have a build-in commander mode.
-D60 can not do wireless CLS on any nikon flash with the *body only*.
-D60 can not do wireless manually with SB600 and below except SB-900 in the SU-4 mode. (Again, manual only. No CLS) (Not sure for SB-800)
-D60 can only do CLS wirelessly with SU-800 or SB-900 on camera as a commander. (Not sure for SB-800)
-D60 can do wireless for all flash if going with trigger.

That's all I know, correct me if anything isn't right. Thx.

Kcc

Most reactions

Back