Im looking to get some money for my photos.

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by gumball513, Jun 3, 2009.

1. gumball513

gumball513 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really wanna get started in earning some extra money for my photography. What should i do? Should i put up a classified or something? any advice?

2. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [blink blink] ?? :confused:

3. ottor

ottor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What kind of photography do you want to market?

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are your pictures worth selling?

Post on craigslist, pass out flyers, look into marketing, shoot events for family and friends, look into stock photography,

5. gumball513

gumball513 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i want to do anything. Probably like free-lance.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    so your not really looking to sell existing images bur rather to get jobs involving photography. Well key bit will be if your worth hiring - and for that you will need a website showing your best work. Also you will need to focus your talents into a specific few areas - noone can master all areas of photography quickly and even then most people have areas where they are good and areas where they are hopeless (studio works is a world away from sports which is a world away again from wildlife).

7. Artograph

Artograph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ** See my post in Photographic Discussions....under "How Long...?" :sexywink:

If you have some photos that are really great...try framing them and ask your local coffee shop, restaurants...hair salons, etc. if they would be willing to have some lovely art on the walls....;)....until they sell!! You'll have to strike a deal with them....no one rides for free!!! ;)

Also...you may want to join an art group...your local "arts guild" or whatever....their main goal may be to promote the groups artwork...and they may book regual showings!!

Buy a booth at a local market...?

Good luck!! :D

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to work for someone taking photos, you need a good portfolio to be hired. A portfolio that shows both a technical knowledge and mastery as well as an artistic side. You should have various portfolios depending on who you are applying to work for. Applying to a fashion mag with your portfolio showing product shots won't do as much as a fashion portfolio.

If you mean freelance that you just want to walk around, take pictures and sell them, that is very hard to do. You need to get into events, and the ones that are worth getting into (for selling purposes) are usually the ones you need accreditation to get a press pass. A freelancer who is not with a newspaper can still get in, but you have to be very convincing, have a nice website, good gear and a great online portfolio for them to see. And even then, they'll give out passes to accredited press and then to others.

After looking at your flickr, focus on being more artistic, more poses and such. Direct your photograph, in both the way its composed, the way the lights are, angles, subject instead of letting the photograph direct you.

If you are still in school, look into working for your school paper. If you don't have one, start one. You have to be ahead of the game. This can give you great experience and exposure.

Don't expect to make lots of money, if anything at all, until you have a good handle on what to do.

9. Photo Princess

Photo Princess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. However, I've got something you might be interested in. If you want to start making money on your photography, there is this new ReadyPhotoSite Flash Photo Gallery CMS I've recently found. You get a beutiful website, unlimited photo galleries where you can set up the price for your photos and the opportunity to sell your artwork online via online magazine. Sounds like a great solution. You shouls check it out! :sexywink: