I'm new and need some guidance.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Naritus PwN, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Naritus PwN

Naritus PwN TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey there... I'm 17 years old and have been interested in photography for about 6 years now, just recently i started to look at alot of photography. I started to examine it, look at many different pictures and wonder what might of inspired the photographer to take that picture.

Now I am seriously considering getting into photogrpahy for myself but I have no idea what im doing or how to start! I plan on taking pictures with the intent to express myself and share with others images they have never seen before or with the same emotion attached to it.

The type of advice im looking for is...
    -What type of camera should i begin with? (I'm not familiar with prices at all, so I can't give you an idea on how much I'd like to spend, sorry... just give me your opinion.)
    -Are their certain techniques or hardware that should be used for outdoor/indoor pictures?
    -What are some general things I should be thinking about as a begginer?

And finally... If you'd like tell me why you take pictures that would be great, I think it would help me as a begginer... just a hobby, profession?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I'd recommend that you do some reading about photography and basic exposure. This will help you learn about how photography works but it will also help you to figure out what equipment might be best for you. Understanding Exposure, by Peterson, would be a good book to start with.

Film cameras are still being used and they are rather affordable when compared to digital cameras. However, film must be developed and that is an ongoing expense. Digital cameras are great in that you can shoot like crazy with little or no added expense...and the instant feed back is a great learning tool. Of course, this is the digital age and digital is the main stream tool of choice...so it might make sense to start with it.

If you are planning to learn and grow with your photography...and planning to make money with it someday...then I'd suggest that you look into a Digital SLR camera...rather than a non-SLR digital camera. There are several reasons...one is that DSLR cameras have larger sensors and greatly out perform most 'digi-cams'. Also, and SLR camera is part of a system...cameras, lenses, accesories etc. You can interchange the lenses and accessories which will be important as you learn and want to try different things. With a 'digi-cam'...you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

An entry level DSLR with a 'kit' lens will start around $600. Probably a lot of money for a 17 year old. They way I look at it...it's better than buying a $300 camera and finding out that it's not up to the job....and then having to buy something better. Lenses can cost anywhere from $70 to $7000+...so there are plenty of options. I suggest starting out with something simple...either the 'kit lens' or something like a 50mm F1.8.

The sky is the limit...but you need to understand the basics to know which techniques to use and when.

3. Naritus PwN

Naritus PwN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, your post helped me out alot. I'm definetely going to look into that book... As for the price range, 600$ is a pretty large sum of money... but being that I am serious about photography right now and definetely see it as a possible part of my future 600$ is well worth it and affordable.

More people feel free to post anything that you think will help guide me in the right direction with photography.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have lots of reading and lots of practicing to do. Find out more what you want to do and do it for your own reasons.

For me, all I am trying to do is capture a memory... a moment in time... an event worthy of being remembered by me, a family member or a friend.

Now, technically, that would mean that I could get a $50 camera and be all blissed out about it, but am not getting into the intricacies of photography and starting to try to touch the artistic or more intrinsic side of taking a picture.

I don't want just a snapshot, but I want a picture that touches the person looking at it in a special way, and that takes a lot more practice than opening up the aperture to F/11 and popping them out at 5FPS.

Why you do it? If you have to ask us, maybe you need to reconsider it, or spend a little more time justifying why, what and how before getting into it yourself.

As for the money, yes, the better equipment can get VERY expensive. There are people here that have well over $10,000 invested in their equipment. To start out is not expensive, perhaps... but its never cheap and as we grow, we tend to outgrow our equipment quickly, especially in the beginning.