I'm new to photography

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does...Fully automatic 35mm autofocus SLR camera mean that this camera is only usable in autofocus mode? I'm going to be taking an intro to photography class this coming semester and we need a manual camera. I saw this on the possible camera I might be getting for x-mas. Am I out of luck here? Also, will a camera that does have both auto and manual focus, will it work just fine in manual focus compared to auto? I don't want to get a camera that I can't use for this class.
Thanks for the help!

A fully automatic camera sometimes means that you have auto and manual modes. It also sometimes means its auto only, and no good to you in class. What model camera is it? I am sure someone here has one, or played with one and could advise you further on it.

Most people that take photo classes prefer getting an older no frills maual camera. They are the easiest to learn with and they don't have the technology to get in your way.

Many think the older cameras are capable of getting better results because they make you focus on the craft, as opposed to the gee whizz features of newer auto focus cameras.

The main reason i went with a newer camera is only because i wear glasses and i find it hard to look through the eyepiece on older cameras. Auto focus usually guarantee's that i will get an in focus picture, and the newer ones sometimes have dioptric adjusters for eyeglass wearers.

Of the new cameras, look for a canon (model) Rebel or Elan, A Nikon (model) n50 or higher, or newer Minolta, (model) 3x or higher. All these cameras have manual modes on them which will work for your class.

Of the manual cameras, any will work, just make sure the light meter functions properly and the sputter speeds are accurate. Canon A-1/AE1's work well, Nikkormats are great, and the Volkwagon of all cameras is the Pentax K-1000. The latter being the camera most recomend to start with.

Any Camera listed though you will have a great time learning on.

zio said:
Does...Fully automatic 35mm autofocus SLR camera mean that this camera is only usable in autofocus mode? I'm going to be taking an intro to photography class this coming semester and we need a manual camera.

Getting the terms straight is the first thing that the beginning photographer needs to learn. "Manual" is a word that is applied to several aspects of a camera's operation.

Normally when a photo instructor says that they want their students to have a fully manual camera, they mean a camera that can be set on full manual exposure control. In other words the photographer needs to be able to control aperture and shutter speed.

The instructor probably doesn't care whether the camera is auto-focus or manual focus. Besides, most auto-focus SLR cameras can be switched to manual focus.

Does the camera you are getting have interchangable lenses? If it does then it's probably a 35mm SLR, and these days almost all 35mm SLRs will go full manual, full auto, and several semi-auto functions. If the film camera you are getting does not have interchangable lenses then it is probably a point-n-shoot, and won't have any manual settings. Point-n-shoots are not suitable for photography class because the photographer has little control over exposure.

I specifically asked for a 35mm SLR. I believe I mentioned a Canon Rebel as the one I was interested in. If i get the Canon, I should be good to go for class right?
This site is great by the way...I have a feeling i'm going to be coming here often!

Most reactions

Back