I'm new !!

Freckles68

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum, my son bought me the Canon SX 700HS for Xmas just over a year ago, for the 1st 6 months I used mostly auto settings, but, I'm learning more about manual settings now too, it's getting to grips with ISO settings, apperture settings etc which I am trying to learn now, in particular, learning to take pics of birds in flight, always looking for help and advice, I'm just an amateur and will take pics of almost anything !!! landscapes, birds, water droplets,flowers, mushrooms etc and have bought my partner his 1st camera, the Panasonic Lumix TZ55 so we can enjoy a hobby together.

Welcome!

Welcome.
For birds in flight I shoot manual with ISO auto. Shutter is usually 2-3x focal length depending on how fast the action is. Aperture is set for best clarity of the lens if in full sun or opened up some for cloudy days.

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum, my son bought me the Canon SX 700HS for Xmas just over a year ago, for the 1st 6 months I used mostly auto settings, but, I'm learning more about manual settings now too, it's getting to grips with ISO settings, apperture settings etc which I am trying to learn now, in particular, learning to take pics of birds in flight, always looking for help and advice, I'm just an amateur and will take pics of almost anything !!! landscapes, birds, water droplets,flowers, mushrooms etc and have bought my partner his 1st camera, the Panasonic Lumix TZ55 so we can enjoy a hobby together.

Hi! ;) I'll get right to the bad news. Although that little camera is pretty dam good. It is NOT a wildlife camera, and certainly not one that you can capture flying birds with reliable or of quality. Although with great care, and a lot of luck you can get a decent shot of a low soaring pelican or a crane, vulture or other large bird just landing or taking off. But if you really have an interest in learning to shoot birds and other wildlife you have a good training camera. Learn to PAN, and stay completely away from any magnification beyond 4-6x (approx 200mm-300mm equivalent. You simply cant keep the bird in the frame steady enough for a good shot. BUT by panning on them you will get to the point that you can follow them very well, and at that point it is time to move up to a full DSLR. Not an expensive one, any of the Canon Txi's are excellent cameras, and with s decent zoom...I recommend the 55-250mm by canon for first timers. Quite capable of getting hang-able shots. Stick around, do a lot of practicing as I said and post your results. There are some very good bird shooters on this forum, and almost all of them are ready to help a new comer.

Suggestion: For learning to shoot birds practice on sparrows, pigeons, starlings any common and readily available bird. Hell chickens are pretty good as well, but their flying ability is that of the Dodo. ;)

Last edited:

Hi! ;) I'll get right to the bad news. Although that little camera is pretty dam good. It is NOT a wildlife camera, and certainly not one that you can capture flying birds with reliable or of quality. Although with great care, and a lot of luck you can get a decent shot of a low soaring pelican or a crane, vulture or other large bird just landing or taking off. But if you really have an interest in learning to shoot birds and other wildlife you have a good training camera. Learn to PAN, and stay completely away from any magnification beyond 4-6x (approx 200mm-300mm equivalent. You simply cant keep the bird in the frame steady enough for a good shot. BUT by panning on them you will get to the point that you can follow them very well, and at that point it is time to move up to a full DSLR. Not an expensive one, any of the Canon Txi's are excellent cameras, and with s decent zoom...I recommend the 55-25mm by canon for first timers. Quite capable of getting hang-able shots. Stick around, do a lot of practicing as I said and post your results. There are some very good bird shooters on this forum, and almost all of them are ready to help a new comer.

Suggestion: For learning to shoot birds practice on sparrows, pigeons, starlings any common and readily available bird. Hell chickens are pretty good as well, but their flying ability is that of the Dodo. ;)

Most reactions

Back