I'm not sure how to approach it

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Agoraphobic, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Agoraphobic

Agoraphobic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm sort of obligated to take some family photos for a woman I work with.

The reason I say obligated is because I'm very reluctant to take pictures of people (an anxiety thing).

Anyway, she lives out in the country and she would like to take them in her yard.

I already know that I need to order a new tripod (the one I own now droops). I'm ordering this one but what I'm wondering, is there anything that might help me create something to her expectations? I was thinking a reflector but I'm not sure what color/size would be best for the conditions.

I've done some half-assed portraits recently with my old D40 but they arent a good example considering the girl was dodging the camera and I was too close.. flickr album (not being a flickr link whore, dont click if you dont want to)

Any input is appreciated

2. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well haing a look at your flickr, you seem to cut off body parts allot...

Your images are very nice and sharp (at the size flickr displays them)
    therefore i see no reason for anything else than what you used then..

From my limited knowledge,
    If you want a nice sunkissed glow on the girls, go with a gold reflector, White reflectors are just like a normal light (?) and i have no idea about silver, i would guess the same as white...

3. Agoraphobic

Agoraphobic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

4. thenikonguy

thenikonguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the reflector I use is double sided.. and very useful.. one side is a nice soft white, and the other gold.. i find both colors very useful.. mind folds up nice a small into a circle.. i cant tell you where it was bought though, because I got it used for 20 bucks..

just did a quick search on adorama for reflector.. and some good results.. I wouldnt get the small ones though.. i wouldnt go any smaller than a 42 inch.. they have one that is Silver/Gold.. i wouldnt get that.. as its really nice having 1 side white.. if you can find a white/gold or a white/silver, i think that would be the most useful..

Heres a good one.. you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.. i went with adorama so you can only have 1 shipping bill.. http://www.adorama.com/PFLD42WG.html?searchinfo=reflector white/gold

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lights would work better than a reflector. Reflectors don't have much range and are hardly good enough for more than one of two people unless you're just doing headshots.