Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just had hip surgery last Wednesday.

HIP SUGERY.

Hip surgery is for old people, right?

[shudder.]

When was the defining moment when you realied you were old?

(anyone under 30 replies and I will hobble over to your place and shake my cane at you.)

One SIL had hip replacement a lot younger than you.

(presumably)

I think she was around 40. Not much more, if any.

I am only 33 but my doc said I am going to have to have a hip surgery in my 40s. Too much hard sports when I was younger.

One SIL had hip replacement a lot younger than you.

(presumably)

I think she was around 40. Not much more, if any.

You presume incorrectly, but not by much. I'm 38.

I am only 33 but my doc said I am going to have to have a hip surgery in my 40s. Too much hard sports when I was younger.

My issue was a damaged Labram and bone spurs. My doc said that if I decided not to get the surgery to repair these things I could look forward to a total replacement on both sides in my mid 40's.

I'd like to avoid that.

Ouch.

When did I realize that I'm old? Well, I remember a moment when I was in my late 20s, sipping white wine with a friend on her back porch, listening to James Taylor and realizing that I really liked the music. It didn't make me feel old, but made me feel like a grown-up.

Last night, I pasted a gorn into a vacation photo. I'm 43. I'm not old, I'm not a grown-up. I don't care if I do need reading glasses now and complain that my knees aren't 18 anymore. I'm a child and I highly suspect I will always be one.

But I will never ever ever be a teenager again. Eff that.

As for the hip replacement, good luck. My father had three (long story - he had to get the first one redone). The good news is all the fun you can have with TSA agents now when you go through metal detectors ;) (or are they not metal anymore?) My father would smirk at the agents whenever they had to use the wand down there.

I was told a few years that I need a complete knee replacement but I don't qualify for one yet since I'm not old enough (I'm 38). I've had 3 surgeries on my knee and still have issues with it as well as constant pain. Guess I just have to suffer until I'm much older, never mind the fact that some days I can barely walk due to the pain.

I hope you recover quickly from the surgery and it helps.

Don't know about hip replacements, but could I volunteer some candidates for brain replacement? Mainly because the brains they have don't appear to have been used, and may be of benefit to someone else?

As for needing the surgery, it's not necessarily about the age. If any part of the muscle/tendon/bone interface is damaged (accident or sports or sometime even congenital defect), then the healing process can be imperfect, and the body compensates by trying to reduce stress in that area, putting more stress on other parts.

My father had knee replacement surgery, and being a veteran of WWII, was deathly afraid of any narcotic, so refused to take a narcotic pain reliever.

As to when (if ever) I realized I'm becoming old, I haven't actually realized that quite yet. It comes close at times, when I feel stiff in the morning (no smirk here).

I wish I had the self-discipline to resume my yoga practice, and if my ticker was not acting up, I could discontinue the medicine that makes me lose my balance.

Also, when my son and I are skiing, I have little desire to ski uphill, or not very fast anyway. He skates up, I just step up.

I realized it 7 years ago. Since the day it dawned on me, I've had 2 back surgeries, a shoulder replacement, hemorrhoid surgery and my gall bladder yanked out. It doesn't pay to sit around thinking about things.

I can't be old. Not when my wife tells me to grow up. (but then, she does continue with "... and act your age!") :oops:

I was told a few years that I need a complete knee replacement but I don't qualify for one yet since I'm not old enough (I'm 38). I've had 3 surgeries on my knee and still have issues with it as well as constant pain. Guess I just have to suffer until I'm much older, never mind the fact that some days I can barely walk due to the pain.

I hope you recover quickly from the surgery and it helps.

Unbelievable! It shouldn't matter on age but the damage of the 'x'. If you need 3+ surgeries wouldn't it be better for you AND insurance company to fix it now?!
Common sense is really missing in so many of our business/ government areas.
Remeber the little 7(?) yr old who had a brain surgery and developed the obesity due to the operation and pituitary gland. She was 200 lbs and she couldn't have life saving stomach band because she was too young, geez.(they finally relented and she is loosing weight)

Yup, hubby has had double knee replacement and is currently recouperating from 2 rotator cuff surgery....but we're old (60 for him)
N

i woild think it would be cheaper to do the replacement as well. Last year I went to the surgeon again for knee issues and they said there is nothing left for them to work on (you can hear the bones grinding together when I walk) and the only option is a replacement but that I still don't qualify due to my age. Insurance companies are ridiculous with their requirements, because of them I get to go around in pain and will probably end up with liver damage due to all the Tylenol I take to try to lessen the pain in my knee as the Dr's won't give me any pain medication that helps (they have given RX strength Aleve and Tylenol and say that it is pretty strong meds, I might as well be taking a sugar pill).

I just had hip surgery last Wednesday.

HIP SUGERY.

Hip surgery is for old people, right?

[shudder.]

When was the defining moment when you realied you were old?

(anyone under 30 replies and I will hobble over to your place and shake my cane at you.)

You are old if you call it "hep" surgery.

Last night, I pasted a gorn into a vacation photo.
Awesome.
Truly awesome.

Not knowing the term, I looked it up at the Urban Dictionary, and found a lot of definitions. But none that I can see be pasted into a vacation photo. Unless it's the Gorn that Kirk battled with. Enlighten me. Or at least shine a light into my deep pit of ignorance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back