I'm planning on getting a Canon 40D...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Phazan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I have a question. I am saving for a 40D, to upgrade my Canon S3 IS. So far I am planning on using my parent's old film Rebel lens, and buying the popular 55mm 1.8, and a 70-300mm. However, all these are cheap lenses, and I have heard a lot of people talking about focusing more on good lenses, than a nicer body. Is this a bad idea, or should I go with a 30D...or even all the way down to a Rebel Xti?? I am only 17 working at a grochery store, so I really can't afford to buy 300$+ lenses. At the same time I really want the speed of the 40d though, I could really use the 6.5 FPS...

2. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I am also planing on buying the 40d (I think) Do you mean the 50mm 1.8? That sounds like a good starting point, seeing as its less than $100 and great quality. And the kit lens that you have should get you started. Figure out what you want in a lens while shooting with what you have, than see what your needs/ budget are from there.

3. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well it really depends on your budget, what you want to shoot, and how far you wanna go with your photography. the 40D is an excellent camera. but if your budget is limited, and you want to do a certain type of photography, i would go to a lower level body like the 30D or XTi, which are still good cameras, and go for a good lens. remember, its always better to have an average body and amazing glass, than a good body and meteokre glass.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the most part, better lenses will make a bigger difference than a using a different DSLR camera. However, there is something to be said about getting best you can afford and upgrading later. I don't think it would be a bad idea to buy the camera that you really want, use the cheaper lenses for a while until you can afford something better.