Im re thinking everything

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a d80 and various lenses and 1 sb 600 and I was looking at the better nikon digital cameras such as the d300 and I was looking at their max sync speed mostly and they are low like 250 and I dont see why a 2 grand camera has a low sync speed I know the iso control and other stuff on that is killer but it seems like if you were to buy really good film you could get just that good producet and with MF you could produce killer images. Thinking about this and other options makes me concider selling all nikon camera and shooting film or maybe selling my d80 and buy a d2x or some other nikon camera like that. It would be great if you guys could give some sudgestions on what I should do.

Thanks

-mike

Why are you so focused on sync speed? As with anything in photography, there are trade-offs. Every camera, every system, has strengths and weaknesses. The idea is to pick the one that most coincides with your needs, and that meets your budget.

Somehow, I doubt that a D2X in your hands is going to improve your shots much. It's a phenomenal camera - but are you really to the point that you're being held back by your D80?

For many years, flash synch was limited to one speed (X-synch) and people managed to get beautiful flash images. I suggest you stop worrying about that and get a good flash reference and practice!

Somehow, I doubt that a D2X in your hands is going to improve your shots much. It's a phenomenal camera - but are you really to the point that you're being held back by your D80?

If you've got money to burn, feel free to send some my way. its kinda funny that Nikon's better models have a synch speed of 250 when my D50 has a synch speed of 500.

its your money, but instead of getting a new camera, you'd probably be better served buying new lenses and flashes or donating to charity.

stop and ask yourself, "how many shots have I missed because my flash only synchs to 250."

I shoot alot of skateboard photography and off camera flashes are used alot, this is why flash sync speed is importent to me.

They are a physical limitation, not a sign of poor camera design. Most film SLRs are limited to 1/250 as well. Other cameras get around it by turning the sensor on and off and not using the shutter curtains. Or you get leaf shutters.

Either way, consider getting more powerful flash units, if you're trying to balance against daylight. It makes far more sense than chasing a technology that is uncommon and not on a manufacturer's priority list.

You could get something with a leaf shutter and go all the way to 1/500.

Be prepared to spend $5 for a roll of film which yu will get 12-16 frames and then another $15 for prints.

Be prepared to spend $1500 on a starter set of Hasselblad or Mamiya cameras. When you think lenses think "pro" glass.

Then you'll need a film scanner for medium format film -a good one- I'll let you look up those. ;)

or you can get an old D70. ;)

If you've got money to burn, feel free to send some my way. its kinda funny that Nikon's better models have a synch speed of 250 when my D50 has a synch speed of 500.

its your money, but instead of getting a new camera, you'd probably be better served buying new lenses and flashes or donating to charity.

stop and ask yourself, "how many shots have I missed because my flash only synchs to 250."

Actually, the older cameras have the electronic shutter as mentioned above, that's why it's higher. Canon's original 1D even had a CCD sensor with electronic shutter.

The beautiful thing about these cameras are that if you trigger your flash with a simple triggering device and don't have it attached via hot shoe, the "x sync" becomes the camera's maximum shutter speed. You can shoot at 1/8000 on a d70 if your flash is powerful enough. You'll kill all the ambient, but be prepared to stop using speed lights and pick up something more powerful at that point.

I believe the d40, d50, and at least the d70 on Nikon's line up are capable of this. Canon has the OG 1D, and G9. I'm thinking the older XXD predecessor may be capable of this as well. They're 4mp cameras though. Canon ended up going with the CMOS and mechanical shutters early on and so their cameras became limited to the actual stated x sync.

You could get something with a leaf shutter and go all the way to 1/500.

Be prepared to spend $5 for a roll of film which yu will get 12-16 frames and then another $15 for prints.

Be prepared to spend $1500 on a starter set of Hasselblad or Mamiya cameras. When you think lenses think "pro" glass.

Then you'll need a film scanner for medium format film -a good one- I'll let you look up those. ;)

or you can get an old D70. ;)

He could always get the Hassy 16mp digi back. That, a body, and a lens is only $1,200.

Ha ha...just kidding, left out the extra 0! $12,000.

Most reactions

Back