I'm sorry :( need opinions please!@

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bram, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright first off i'd like to apologize to the readers of this thread. I myself know how frustrating it can be when a newbie comes on the forum and starts a thread: "Which camera should I get? I have no budget blah blah blah".
    Sorry, i'm no longer a newbie I believe i'm just in a pickle! Alright so I have looked at both the D90 and the D200, now I am having some trouble deciding which one I would like to be the successor to my D40x. Don't get me wrong I love my D40x, I would like to upgrade because I will be going to school full time and i'm taking a few photography courses on the side. Now, I have looked up both on craigslist and I found both for under $800.00 considering the D90 body only deal here in Canada is $849.00 I think it's a decent price. Now for what i'll be shooting: sports, portraits, a little close up persay so ISO levels would be nice, i'd like the FPS to exceed my D40x by at least 1.5 more frames. I know the D90 has 4.5 which is nice while the D200 has 5.0, is it really that big of a difference. I would just like opinions from people who have had experience with either camera or even both, I would definately appreciate input from some of my fav supporters (the guys that comment on my threads the most, don't worry I don't have fans).

Thanks in advance

2. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have a car you can sell? That might help you raise some funds, and you could get some great street shots while riding public transit. :D

3. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

And this comment is supposed to be in relation to..?

4. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just ribbin ya. You know, sell the car, buy a pro body and be done with it. :D

5. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Then what? How will I get to work? Public transit?

Come one man I was looking for some input and advice on the cameras not about selling my car and getting a pro body.

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

How about getting a new 80-200mm f/2.8 instead of a different body? Sell the telephoto zoom lens you have + the amount of money you set aside for the new body may equal to that fast telephoto lens.

or maybe a used one.

7. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't sell that lens it was a gift. So I went to the next best thing and that was body, I just wanted to see which one would be the better successor to my D40x.

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wow....seems like some tension in here.

I say buy the D90. A friend had a D90, bought a D200. He shot more with the D90 than with the D200. There were a few features he preferred in the D200 (I'm thinking wider range in bracket?), but for everday stuff, he stuck with his D90.

If you were going for a D300 or D300s, it would be a different story

He has since bought a D700 and sold his D90, no looking back.

Either one will be an upgrade for you, so pick one and go with it.

9. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks bigtwinky, you're the first one to actually have some input and advice, thanks alot. As of right now I can't afford to spend over $1000.00 on anything rigth now except maybe save for a new car, the car I got now wil get me from A to B but barely so, the passion I have for photography is driving me to upgrae and put more money into that then my car. :lol: Oh well!

10. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Question for you, are you looking for better photo quality for Sports and Portrait photography?

I strongly believe you may not see much different if you just upgrade the camera body with your existing lenses.

When I upgraded my camera body from Canon XTi to 40D, I was going after the spot meter, camera size, top display with buttons and dual wheels. Not image quality because I know it is going to be the same (most of the time).

So think about what is the main purpose for the upgrade. I am not saying camera upgrade is a bad idea, but sometimes lens is also important.

D300 + kit zoom lens
    D40x + 80-200mm f/2.8 lens

If I am going after the image quality, I think I will choose the D40X setup.
    Hope that make sense.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tell the person that bought it for you to buy you a better lens next time, then. That way, when you do have a 70-200 f/2.8, you won't have the old lens as a paper weight because some one bought it as a gift. :meh:

12. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That definately puts everything into a better perspective. Thanks Dao, i'm looking for that sports photo that says: wow!~, that's a nice photo you know? I mean people say that about some of the ones I got but I mean that's just timing with the crop and the zoom range of the 200mm lens I got now just isn't sharp or close enough for the photos, I mean if i'm shootign a football game under soft light and low light conditions I agree the 2.8 glass would solve that issue alone, I would also need a 300mm or higher to get that good shot.