I'm starting to hate my macro mode

helloyo53

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is really starting to get on my nerves. I have been trying to take some macro shots for the past two days now and I can't get my camera to focus properly. I am using the super macro mode on my Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd, and everytime I try to focus the stupid thing won't focus and it will come up AF! and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I am also tried using aperture priority and setting it to 6.4, and that doesn't make a difference. What the heck am I doing wrong, I really like macro photography, but this is starting to get me mad.

If you want to see my failed macro pictures just go to my newish thread in the Macro section called "Flowers in my Backyard" and you can see how crappy they turned out.

Thanks for any help.

I think that with most digi-cams, once you put them into macro mode, your focus range becomes limited to short range. So for example, when you are in 'super macro mode', you might only be able to focus on things that are 4cm to 10cm away. If you are closer or farther away, it might not be able to focus.

Just a thought.

How close are you holding the camera to the subject? If you're too close to begin with, it won't be able to focus properly. I don't know the specific minimum length that yours will be able to focus but you should be able to find that in the manual. I'd also say to stay away from the auto modes.

How close are you holding the camera to the subject? If you're too close to begin with, it won't be able to focus properly. I don't know the specific minimum length that yours will be able to focus but you should be able to find that in the manual. I'd also say to stay away from the auto modes.

On the super macro mode when I first go onto it it says "Close up shots up to 2cm, but when I go 2cm, it won't focus, and I keep moving further away until it focuses, and then it is so far away it just takes away from the macro point. Friggin annoying....

Hmm does your camera have a manual focusing mode built into it? You might find that easier to work with for your close ups. Also make certain your using a tripod = most of the digicams don't like macro mode shot on anything but a tripod since shake becomes a real problem (and will contribute to softer shots).

As for manual mode apertures you want the greatest depth of field you can so your wanting to use the smaller apertures (which means the bigger f numbers like f6.4) If your on a tripod though do remember that whilst the camera is now still the subject might not be (wind) so do consider keeping the flash out to let your shutter speed say high enough so as to counter the wind effect.

Keep in mind it's a point and shoot with a non-removable lens. This will limit the actual macro capability since it is primarily designed to take pictures of people in places of interest. I would not expect it to operate as well as a true macro lens, though there are a few companies that make macro filters to increase the capabilities of point and click macro. This is where Google will come in handy.

Actually, macro is one area where many 'digi-cams' do quite well...compared to a DSLR with a typical kit lens. Many of them can focus on objects very close, some down to an inch or less. That's something that a regular SLR lens can't do.

I'm hoping for Christmas that I will get a camera with different lenses. Since I am only 13 money isn't too easy to come by, especially when it comes to like $1000. So I hope I can get a camera with detachable lenses for Christmas.

This is what bugs me too, it used to take great macro pictures, look at this picture I took:
2009_06060021Small.jpg

I just don't get it...

...I am also tried using aperture priority and setting it to 6.4, and that doesn't make a difference....

Of course not. You have a focusing problem. The aperture doesn't control the focus distance.

Perhaps you failed to read the specifications for the camera completely. The camera will focus to 5cm/2" in the Macro mode, but only when zoomed to its widest setting. When zoomed to full telephoto, the minimum focusing distance in marcro mode is 80cm/2.6ft. The only time it can focus to 2cm/0.8" is when it is in the "Super Macro" mode instead of "Macro".

Fuji's specs:

FUJIFILM USA | FinePix S1000fd : Specifications

Hmmm,
Maybe you are on Manual not Macro, see below.

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/250"
F Number = F5
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.2
Date Time Original = 2009-06-06 14:55:16
Date Time Digitized = 2009-06-06 14:55:16
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4
Shutter Speed Value = 7.97 TV
Aperture Value = 4.64 AV
Brightness Value = 5 BV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.8
Metering Mode = Spot
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 5.9mm
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 640
Exif Image Height = 480
Focal Plane X Resolution = 6129
Focal Plane Y Resolution = 6129
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = cm
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image

When shooting flowers like your example, you are really doing close-up vs. macro.
Try the regular settings on your camera, stand back and zoom in to the same crop. Shoot and then check the DOF to see if you got the flower petals and the stamen. While this won't help your frustration with your macro setting you may still get to the end point you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back