I'm struggling to decide on a camera, sensor size, mirrorless or SLR...Think you can help? ;)

As to the above in-camera HDR differences; the Nikon sensor has a 2.3-EV edge in totoal dynamic range over the 6D, so, that could get very good in-camera HDR with fewer needed exposures. In my own experience, the 2.3 EV DR advantage is a huge one in favor of the Nikon.

Yeah, that's crossed my mind, that since, with the D610, dynamic range overall in regular shooting is better I might have less of a need for in camera HDR, but I do like Canon's 3 shot merging HDR over Nikon's 2 shot merging HDR.

Still, you have the 28-105 and the 85/1.8 EF lenses for Canon and that one other EF lens. My original suggestion was a used Canon 5D or used Canon 6D, for those three lenses. I still stand by that suggestion for you if you want to keep shooting those lenses.

Well, if I can get over the fact that Nikon's specs are so much better then it would be nice to have a 3 lens headstart, even if they might not be the best considering how old they are and how much better newer lenses are with lens technology advancements.

The 95 overall score is VERY high...the 82 overall score is equalled or bettered now by the very best of APS-C cameras, but for me, the FF-sized sensors are what I prefer. I think the FF sensor cameras work the best with the most lenses out there, and there is a LOT of Canon EF glass on the new and used market.

Yes, it's the numbers that are causing my hangup and indecision. The D7200 APS-C can be gotten for $999 new and it's overall score is better than the full frame 6D, which is $400 more new. But can I really trust that to mean that I'd get better pictures with the D7200?

Last edited:
I agree, Canon is going to give you better "IQ" image quality and a better selection of lens (and cheaper), it's the reason most pros shoot with Canon.
that said, definitely take a look at mirrorless cameras - smaller, lighter with the same features of a DSLR and can use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

just buy the 6D, take pictures, and enjoy it. Having the lenses already really puts you ahead.

Last edited:
just buy the 6D, take pictures, and enjoy it. Having the lenses already really puts you ahead.

Then again, having 25 year old EF lenses on a camera that the authorities say is an inferior camera to the other one I'm considering could be a real bonehead move.

Then again, having 25 year old EF lenses on a camera that the authorities say is an inferior camera to the other one I'm considering could be a real bonehead move.

Nope...the 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF lens is STILL a very fine lens. Plenty good. I had one for years....a VERY solid,solid performer, and Canon has not updated it. Nikon, OTOH, has updated their 85/1.8 and 84/1.4 AF-S G models, and the 85/1.8 AF-S G from Nikon is a superlatively sharp,crisp,astounding performer for about $400. The Canon 85/1.8 EF is a fine lens performer; the newer Nikkor is a superb performer for landscapers who want excruciating detail, but in my opinion, the Canon 85mm 1.8 might be a "prettier" imager for people pictures.

28-135mm lens....ehhh...on a 20.2 MP sensor, the MP count is low enough...the sensor itself can eke out 2,400 line pairs per mm at max with the best optics possible, so, whatever...at f/4.2 or smaller (f/4.5, f/4.8, f/5.6, etc.) diffraction is going to make almost any lens look less-than-optimal, and face it, 20.2 million pixels on a 24 x 36mm recording medium means that Full Frame does not tax the optics all that much!

Do you recall that over a week ago, I said you ought to consider a used Canon 5D classic or a used Canon 6D, for those three EF lense you already own?

There has NOT been all that much improvment lens-wise in many lens categories in the Canon line since the 1990's. The 85/1.8 EF is still current. As to the "inferiority" of the Canon 6D to the Nikon D610: I really do not buy that argument, since the 6D images I see look good. I see the 6D as very-well-updated 5D Classic, which is and was a good shooter. Simple body, better build than the 5D, and all most amateurs will ever need. And decent video. The 6D and 6D-Mark II and Nikon D610 are all in the same,exact product category.

And TBH...in some ways, the Canon camera is simpler in design, and might out-focus the Nikon for one-shot low-light focus acquisition. As to the "f/2.8" comment above...I think it has Canon's double-precision AF on lenses f/2.8 or faster, something they premiered years ago, where fast f/2.8 lenses have "double precision" AF...meaning finer gradation of the AF zone's multiple distances, leading to more-precise distance differentiation. RE Nikon to Minus 1 EV on central AF point, Canon to Minus 3.0 EV; the Nikon uses that damned "white light" AF assist system....that fricking NAILS focus with a pop of pure, white light, so it does not require much Minus EV for indoor work...buuuut...that damned white light...Yeeech! The original 6D was famous for superb central AF point low-light focusing lock-on capability. Perhaps one of that body's more-well-known plusses. The ability of the newer Nikon AF modules to focus with lenses as slow as f/8 means Teleconverters can be used with slow lense, and AF will still function. it is a way to gauge the relative strength of AF modules, but it's not the only criterion to be used.

And in conclusion, "Our Lord And Savior on A Bicycle....please get thee to a camera store!" ;-)

Last edited:
I think talking about FF dslr cameras is far from "beginners".

You can't blame the camera if you buy the baddest one right out the gate!!! LMFAO

I think talking about FF dslr cameras is far from "beginners".

You can't blame the camera if you buy the baddest one right out the gate!!! LMFAO

True, but I'm really a dormant semi-knowledgeable amateur waking from his slumber!

The 80D for example is pretty close to the D3400's performance.

Actually I don't think it is if you go by the dxomark. It gets a dxomark of 86, while the 6D gets a dxomark of 82 and the 80D gets a mark of 79.

What the hell does that even mean honestly?

An entry level APS-C DSLR beats out a full frame camera 3 and a half times it's cost, and the most up to date Canon enthusiast APS-C DSLR costing 3 times as much..........

Should dxomark just be thrown in the trash?

The 80D for example is pretty close to the D3400's performance.

Actually I don't think it is if you go by the dxomark. It gets a dxomark of 86, while the 6D gets a dxomark of 82 and the 80D gets a mark of 79.

What the hell does that even mean honestly?

An entry level APS-C DSLR beats out a full frame camera 3 and a half times it's cost, and the most up to date Canon enthusiast APS-C DSLR costing 3 times as much..........

Should dxomark just be thrown in the trash?
you really have to look at individual numbers individually.
Not just the overall. Overall includes the price and total value.

Otherwise, you should just get the D3400, which truthfully wouldn't do much for me in functionality or anything.

what are your TOP 3 cameras you are looking at ?
then list out your Pros and Cons of each.
and maybe give each pros and cons a weighting

or maybe just go back to sleep to extend your slumber ...

This has been going on for awhile. Exactly how many pictures have you taken while trying to figure out what's the better camera?

This is why they say the best camera is the one you have on you. The camera is the least of your worries. Once you decide what camera, would you rather deal with Nikon glass or canon? I hear you have a few canon so why make the decision so hard?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Crazy thread...they are all good in one way or the other...maybe buy something more of a conversation piece, that's also badass...Pentax K1...screw all that popular cameras and go with something a little more...eccentric!

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I think I'm going to go with the 6D. May not be the best but it's probably getting up there close to the best!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back