Im surprised

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i borrowed a friends 400D today with kit lens.

and i love it! but thats not the point of thsi topic!

when using it all day tday, i noticed, how plastic and flimsy it felt in comparison to my eos 700 (film) which is built like an absolute brick!

Is this the same with most dSLR's?

i borrowed a friends 400D today with kit lens.

and i love it! but thats not the point of thsi topic!

when using it all day tday, i noticed, how plastic and flimsy it felt in comparison to my eos 700 (film) which is built like an absolute brick!

Is this the same with most dSLR's?

No, it varies with manufacturers, and usually the higher-end models feel (and are) more sturdy.

My eos 5d feels like a tank, compared to my eos 100.

I have a Canon eos 40d and its built like a tank and weighs a ton.

I can't understand the machismo that surrounds camera weight...

I don't even like walking around all day with my relatively light D60 and 18 - 200 kit...

I don't even like walking around all day with my relatively light D60 and 18 - 200 kit...

this is not about weight. a magnesium body does not weight much more than plastic. It is what they squeeze into it what makes the weight.

And it has nothing to do with machismo, since nobody except the person handling the camera really feels how it feels. for the others it is just optical appearance.

I bumped/scratched my 5d camera a few times on rough surfaces, still it did not even get scratches yet.

To paraphrase Boris the Blade: "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work... you can always hit them with it."

But in reality heavy is just a side effect. There's nothing macho about it. Other than the fact that my D200 is still going. That's macho considering the things I've done would have easily written off a plastic D70 or D40.

But in reality heavy is just a side effect. There's nothing macho about it. Other than the fact that my D200 is still going. That's macho considering the things I've done would have easily written off a plastic D70 or D40.

I agree with this 100%. I have both a D70s and the D300, while the D70s is a great camera the build quality can't touch my D300.

does anyone know what parts are responsible for the extra weight?

the sensor?

the shutter mechanism?

the switches?

does anyone know what parts are responsible for the extra weight?

the sensor?

the shutter mechanism?

the switches?

The super computer inside? ;)

Mainly all the things you listed are the same for most cameras. Its all the other technology (computer parts) that they put in to get the additional features.

Most reactions

Back