I'm thinking about getting a vest... is that stupid?

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.petruzzo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do a lot of moving around at events and functions and like to switch between lenses a lot. It's really frustrating returning to my bag and nerve wracking thinking about who might be stumbling on it. So, I've been thinking of getting a vest so I can keep more than just my mounted lens with me.

Is that going to be stupid? I mean, I'm a fairly young guy. Is it going to look like a traveled to the future from 1959 and decided to shoot a birthday party?

Anyone have any experience using one? Let's say hypothetically I were to get one, what are the draw backs and benefits, things I might not have thought of? Got any good recommendations?

Maybe that was too much to ask at once.

I don't have one yet, but I've been wanting one for the same reasons you mentioned.

The only real drawback I can think of is that you might look a little nerdy.
Who cares what other people think?

IMO, most modern SLR AF lenses are too big to be comfortably carried in a vest.
My solution is a belt (one designed for photography not one that holds you pants) with lens pouches; one for each lens. No front nor rear lens caps. I recommend lens pouches that don't have zippers (they just slow you down). Instead, use pouches that have velcro or draw strings if you need something quiet.

Mine is from Tenba but I can't find it on their website anymore. I've seen think tank equivalents and was impressed by their quality.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

Last edited:
I didnt think there would be a use for these anymore since most people have switched to digital. Arent they mostly used for carrying film rolls, extra batteries etc?? They dont have the biggest pockets from what I have seen.

The vests they sell here have lens holders built in. 4 or 6 flapped pockets about 17 to 20cm deep and 10 to 14cm wide. plus hooks and camera safety straps (so that the camera strap can't slip off the shoulder. Plenty of room for 3 good sized medium lenses, a flash pack, a flash unit, and a buttload of cards, lens-caps, exposure/balance cards, or whatever.

I haven't seen a film vest in quite some time.

Is it stupid? No... I think they look ok and if it's handy then who cares how it looks? :D

if you have use for a vest, go for it.

At some formal events you might need a vest that does not look like straight from the jungle though. Black hence is always a good colour.

I dunno... none of these look nerdy to me.

Shrug...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
just remember the safari vest must be bought with a hat!
its nothing without a safari hat to go with it ;)

I heard wearing both simultaneously leads to pipe-smoking. :p

hmm I wonder where my dads are then!

but knowing my luck any vest and hat is long since gone!

I suggest belts - they work really well for me, and I use mine mostly for events when I need 2-3 lenses and a flash with me as I move around. Harnesses are also good, but quite nerdy, and vests are more for people with a lot of filters and smaller things to carry around.

I have a Lowepro belt and Tamrac holders (I like the Tamrac texture more, but the Lowepro belt felt better around my waist then the Tamrac). Some people also use heavy duty construction workers belts, and they seem to work fine, for less money. Just be sure that they can fit the holders you want - maybe better buying the holders first if you want to go that route.

just remember the safari vest must be bought with a hat!
its nothing without a safari hat to go with it ;)

I think with a derby hat and a safty pin to hold a bounce card that says PRESS on it. Ohhh and a dish reflector high atop the rangefinder.

Last edited:
between belts and harnasses I would prefer a harness I think - granted you look nerdy - but a DSLR and more than one lens has already entered you into the nerd field ;)
I can just see a belt with lenses in being either a pain (slipping) or having to be very tight (not comfortable) to hold the kit up - lighter stuff fine though. A harness at least takes the weight to your shoulders a bit more and does not threaten to take your trousers down with it ;)

I'm kinda lookin for that solution too... I think if you fill up a vest like that you may as well just carry your back pack.... you'll end up looking like schwartzenager in commando....

I was shooting a car show this weekend and the weather unexpectently turned from cool to hot and humid within a half hour... my sack was smothering me and I was losing attention to detail because of the heat... a couple lenses on a belt sound like a good idea... maybe i'll try that next...

Most reactions

Back