I'm thinking about getting a vest... is that stupid?

Yeah, after the discussion, it seems like a belt might be more what I need. The belt does seem to be less nerdy than a harness, but a harness might be what really need because I usually have to lug around a 70-200L and that sucker gets heavy after a while. The last thing I want is to be shooting a boat show or something, then all of a sudden be putting on a show of my own.

Realistically, how much weight can you comfortably put on a belt?

which 70-200mm L? I would not want an f2.8 IS on my hip only -- harness or backpack/shoulder pack would be better I feel.

my vote is for the belt! Although I have seen vests and they aren't "dorky" IMO - if you're shooting professionally, it's part of the garb!

Physicians wear scrubs, which are sure as hell dorky, but part of the professional attire. . .

I cracked up when I saw that... a vest with a butt protector!
If 1-2 lenses is all you want to carry, consider a SHOOTSAC. You can google it and get some pricing.

Personally, I have no qualms carrying a mid-sized backpack but if I would want just something small or what not to carry, a vest or shootsac (the name also cracks me up), is more than enough.

I used a waste-bag with some SLR/dSLR cameras in the past. I guess it's the same thing you guys are calling a "belt". They work. ;) But all by dSLRs and SLRs have been very sturdy and rugged. I wouldn't even think about putting my current A2 in a waste bag nor a cheaply made lens for that matter.

I feel kind of the same tho slightly less so about backpacks too. I would use a shoulder bag without hesitation tho. I don't think I've ever owned a vest tho... But they look safer than waist-bags.

I had a vest for my laptop! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Gosh, that Shootsac is outrageously expensive. It's around $150. That's a bit out of my price range. Plus, theoretically, I need to carry four lenses. Carrying a backpack gets real hard on the shoulders after an hour. And, there's virtually no access to it without stopping, putting everything down and swapping things out.

which 70-200mm L? I would not want an f2.8 IS on my hip only -- harness or backpack/shoulder pack would be better I feel.

I carry a 70-200/2.8L IS on one side of a Tamrac MAS hip belt and a 100-400 on the other when hiking. DSLR with a prime or macro on my neck and carried in one hand. No issues with weight.

I had the same dilemma recently. I was going to a football game and wanted to take my 50-500mm Bigma. I intended to also bring my 18-200mm and my 50mm, the stadium wouldn't allow my backpack or monopod in the stands. I went to Ritz Camera and purchased a black vest. For the $50.00, it solved my problem perfectly! It has room for the smaller lenses, the microfiber cloth, and many other must haves (and a huge pocket in the back totaling 10 pockets). I even brought a clear plastic garbage bag for inclement weather which I was very happy to have. If you plan on taking this route, let me make a few suggestions... Make sure it's NOT 100% cotton (cotton absorbs perspiration and takes a long time to dry), make sure it is well ventilated, and even though I chose black, tan doesn't attract the sun as much. Good luck with whatever path you choose, but I for one am very happy with my decision.

My personal preference is a vest over a belt. But that may be due to the fact that on a busy Saturday I may shoot 4 different sporting events. The vest distributes the weight better than a belt. I also find the vest easier to quickly work out of.

My normal outdoor gear consists of one body with the 400 f2.8 on a monopod. The second body with the 70-200 f2.8 on a Rapid Strap over my shoulder. In the vest is usually a wider lens or maybe two, 1 580 EX with batteries in it, extra batteries for the bodies, a lens cleaning kit for bad days, a Think Tank Pocket Rocket with extra media cards and a couple of bottles of Gatoraide in the back pocket of the vest.

I do own a Think Tank belt system and do tend to use it when I have a single event to shoot that doesn't need much gear or when I am shooting indoor events such as basketball or volleyball.

Go to a good photography shop and take a look at both systems. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Vest or belt is a personal choice.

I've got a couple of vests I use, but mainly for filters and accessories rather than lenses.

I've got a couple of vests I use, but mainly for filters and accessories rather than lenses.

That is where I love my vest, which of course is no longer made by Cabelas. Yes you got that right, it is a Cabelas photography vest. It has 4 wonderful lens pockets that are well padded. One is large enough for the 70-200 f2.8 with the hood and tripod mount ring attached. (not something I really want to do all that often)

It's not as stylish as the other vests as the four padded pockets will not lay down flat when empty, but it does protect lenses well. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back