Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
volunteering. Working for a cause. I just don't know what cause? What kinds of things are YOU passionate about? If you could help out with any cause in the world, what would it be? (this could give me some ideas!)

I'm a huge supporter of cancer research. I regularly donate photography services or packages for fundraisers. I'm also doing my first walk for breast cancer this October.

I also used to volunteer at a nursing home. I had moved away from my grandmother and I missed that generational friendship. I played cards, made popcorn and sometimes just read a book or the newspaper to someone that couldn't.

Also, meals on wheels is a great cause that can always use extra drivers to deliver. Or on a similar note, my husband's family used to spend Thanksgiving day serving dinner at a food shelter.

There are so many causes out there, you could also try your local United Way chapter to see what services your specific community needs.

There's Big Brother/Big sister program, Habitat for Humanity, horseback riding for handicapped children/adults and the list goes on and on!

Hmmm, guess I like to reach out too :)

First off, I just want to say that it is awesome that you're thinking about doing this! :thumbsup: I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity through my college. There's tons of opportunities to volunteer at build sites all over the place! You can check it out at www.habitat.org
All college Habitat chapters do a thing during spring break too, where each group goes somewhere else around north america to build there. So far, we've gone to Georgia and Florida for this... (us Minnesotans need a break from our harsh winters!)
Anyways, just wanted to give you an idea! Good luck, and have fun!!

Well, I am thinking about volunteering at a nursing home. My first job was at one, and I loved it. I loved the people. I certainly had my share of sadness at that job, though. I also am thinking of something like a Big sister type program, but I don't think there is anything like that very close to me. Heh heh...I seem to do quite well with the very young and the very old! Actually, one of my jobs is at a domestic violence shelter, doing thursday night childrens group. But that's not volunteering. I'm gonna figure something out, I just dont' know what yet!

Okay, I have a question/rant. Habitat for Humanity. What are the criteria for getting a HfH house? Is it simply low-income? If so, HfH sounds like a great idea at first glance, but my BIG beef with it is that a person who is on welfare, never does a day of work, can walk up and get a brand new house, while someone who busts their ass working 2 and 3 jobs doesn't qualify and lives in a broken down old trailer or something. That doesn't seem right to me at all. Maybe I've got a flawed understanding of the process (I hope I do!)...

Do you have a crisis nursery near you? That's something that I always wanted to volunteer doing. I've donated a lot of clothes and food to the one in MN. They always need an extra set of hand to be with the children.

A crisis nursery is a place where parents can bring their children in case of an emergency. That emergency could be a case of domestic violence, drug abuse problems or just simply that they have a job interview and nobody to watch their children. It's certainly someplace where emotions can run high, and many of the children are there because of abuse. But, the fact that your arms could provide a safe haven to a child who otherwise does not have one is an undescribeable feeling.

Shark said:
Okay, I have a question/rant. Habitat for Humanity. What are the criteria for getting a HfH house? Is it simply low-income? If so, HfH sounds like a great idea at first glance, but my BIG beef with it is that a person who is on welfare, never does a day of work, can walk up and get a brand new house, while someone who busts their ass working 2 and 3 jobs doesn't qualify and lives in a broken down old trailer or something. That doesn't seem right to me at all. Maybe I've got a flawed understanding of the process (I hope I do!)...

I do not know the extant info on Habitat for Humanity, but have hear (on “This Old House” I think) that they do not give the house away, people have to pay for them, they get low or no interest loads, also they have to work in the HFH program at so level

That sounds like something that would be perfect for me, but I don't think I have anything like that in my area.

core_17 said:
That sounds like something that would be perfect for me, but I don't think I have anything like that in my area.

You might be surprised, I had one just down the street and never knew it.

Good on ya girl , for wantin to do something like this :sillysmi:
Well I guess my causes I'm passionate about are probably obvious by now :lol: ( goin off the squirrel thread ) but they are kids and animals.

http://www.peta.org

http://www.wwf.org

I usually do small things like walk & feed the dogs and feed and play with the other animals at my local animal shelter , which is the Lost Dogs Home.
Theres always things to volunteer for in regards to kids in hospitals also , for example.

Hospitals. That's an idea. There are only little ones in my area, but I'm sure they still need volunteers. Actually, now that I think of it, I think my friend's dad is a PR director for the hospital in the town I work in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back