I'm torn

JongTong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i dont know which one to get im torn between the Canon 30d and the Nikon D200?

So toss a coin ;)

No offence but we can't (or rather shouldn't) make this decision for you. We might be able to suggest which one (and which system... each camera is only one part of a large system) might be more suitable based on your requirements or priorities... but that's going to be difficult since you haven't told us what your requirements or priorities are. :)

i am a beginner i have been wanting a camera that takes great pictures with out knowing alot but i will be learning as i go and want a camera that i can as i learn use more of the manual settings and i have decided on these two due to the size and the sturdyness of them and i also like the 5 fps continuous shooting

Well you just have to look at my sig, :).

I went to best buy today and felt both and i prefer the 30d's feel and the functionality seems to be better, although i have heard the colors on the d200 are a little richer and more vibrant, not sure if its true though. I couldnt tell a huge difference.

Currently it seems that the 30 d is "the" camera to have. But I personally would probably buy the D200. I'm mulling over that same decision in my head. Of course, I may end up buying a d50 instead and spend the extra cash on nicer lenses.

Go to a store that sells both, Hold them and determine which seems easier for you to use, including the ease of changing settings.
BTW, I'm a Canon user.

Get whatever you like there is no perfect camera for everyone and another Canon vs. Nikon shootout is not going to answer this for you.

I tell yeah, the 30D does feel good in your hands, I've felt it before - but I ultimately went with the D200.

Though honestly, the reason I went with the D200 is A. I already had a D50 B. Already had Nikon glass and C. I know the layout of the Nikon menu system like the back of my hand, the Canon seemed foreign to me.

Part of me wish I would have gone back in time and told myself to buy a Canon, since 20 years later their dSLRs will handle low light a lot better but meh, I get by.

Get whatever you like there is no perfect camera for everyone and another Canon vs. Nikon shootout is not going to answer this for you.

If we all came to a consensus and agreed on the same camera of one brand, the other brands would be out of business. For that matter, if we all came to a consensus on the same camera, that manufacturer would only make that one camera model and would most likely drop all R&D funding.

If we all came to a consensus and agreed on the same camera of one brand, the other brands would be out of business. For that matter, if we all came to a consensus on the same camera, that manufacturer would only make that one camera model and would most likely drop all R&D funding.

I think the consensus is that although each brand/model has it's strengths and weaknesses they are all good. Just remember that when you make a commitment to a brand, you will probably stay with it because of the investment in lenses. The value of my lenses total over $2500. The most recent was $1140. and that's reasonable compared to what some people spend.
Canon owns me :hail:

Don't let feel be a priority for purchasing a camera. With SLRs you are actually buying into a camera system. So make sure the camera you buy has the accessories and lenses you need to shoot what you want to shoot, i.e. macro or astro photography or infra red, et cetera.

Nikon has better flash capabilities than Canon
Canon has better Image Quality (IQ) at higher ISOs (800+)

As to feel ... any/most/all modern dSLRs are not all that different or uncomfortable that they are not easily adapted to. Image Quality is more important than feel. Once the viewfinder is at your eye, all that feel stuff just goes away ... the only feeling left is all concentrated in the one little finger that operates the shutter release ... Once again, feel doesn't matter because you will easily and quickly adapt to the camera you purchased.

At ISOs less than 800 ... you will be unable to differentiate between a Nikon image and a Canon image.

If you plan on using flash(s) in sophisticated arrangements ... then Nikon is a clear choice. If you routinely shoot available light at higher ISO ... then you gotta go Canon.

For me, these are the principle difs between the cameras.

Other difs are:

Canon has more lenses dedicated to dSLRs than Nikon (but how many lenses do you need / difference is insignificant)

Canon has more upgrade platform possibilities than Nikon including a full frame digital camera / only significant if you plan to upgrade

Nikon seems to be concentrating on entry level cameras and lenses while Canon seems to be concentrating on the upper/pro end of the spectrum / could be significant ... but then again tomorrow Canon could be after the entry level market and Nikon after the pro level ...

Nikons are much more sexy with their svelte and angular bodies and bold red accents than the bulbous and drab Canons.

IMO ... it's sorta a win-win situation as both cameras are equally and extremely capable.

Gary

As to the people who talk about if we all agreed on a camera, if we all agreed on one camera the world would come to an end. And as to the decision of which camera to choose you have to decide which is right for you. That means going to the camera store and trying each one.

Most reactions

Back