I'm trying to do macro differently...

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are these unique? You tell me! I'm trying anything and everything that pops into my mind. If you guys have any ideas for staged macro shots like these, please suggest! And if you see something you don't like about these images, please shout it out. My favourite compliments are constructive criticisms.

1. I'm trying something new. On the internet, I've seen people taking photographs of cut out characters. The characters were well done, but as far as I saw, no one bothered to photograph them with any artfulness. I wanted to put my personal spin on the concept:
3253704869_b9fb27a5f1.jpg

2. Harsh metal Abstract. I personally love how the blue bokeh touching the band has somehow optically meshed into the metal, creating this scratched painted look.
3227307860_e548941536.jpg

3. Experimenting with more cardboard cut outs.
3252203975_7243b6d532.jpg

4. Invasion! I got an LED flashlight for Christmas. If you unscrew the head, the tiny LED is exposed. Because this source of light is so very tiny, it creates very defined shadows. I use this flashlight for all of my macro work.
3225672653_3f9cc56380.jpg

5. Here the flashlight is used again to illuminate a shell I picked up on the beach of a micro island a couple of miles east of Tioman Island in the South China Sea.
3224359585_9e7baa74cd.jpg

6. This was my window the other morning. It was cold in my loft that day.
3223922982_4e9a17e6dd.jpg

7. I processed this to get that cross-processed look and a painterly effect. It's abstract and not a very strong concept, but I like it.
3223921902_ee275a87d7.jpg

8. Ok, this one is actually very old, but I thought I'd show it anyway. After taking a shower one morning before work, I really fell in love with the droplets in the tub. They were so numerous and so very well shaped. I ran upstairs, grabbed my camera and flash, came back down and laid awkwardly in the tub as I shot this. Colour was added later.
2358734406_0c2fac4b80_b.jpg

I think you have a few winners there, some nice colorfull ideas that are not your typical macro but work as an image well, I really like the first three and 6 and 8, very creative and I'd say keep going with it and see what you can come up with

Very creative indeed.
I like them all.
Have chance to buy used sigma
50mm f2.8 for $170+$18 shipping.
In great shape.
Your thoughts?
Thank's, Craig.

These are really outstanding. I love the colors and the set up cardboard scenes. Great creativity. Love them!

A 50mm f2.8? What the hell is this, 1959? I bought my f1.4 for $130. You might want to adjust that price and then proceed to not advertise in random threads, thankyouverymuch.

(Oh, and thanks for the compliments, all! Even you, Craig, I guess)

A 50mm f2.8? What the hell is this, 1959? I bought my f1.4 for $130. You might want to adjust that price and then proceed to not advertise in random threads, thankyouverymuch.

I think he was asking you if you thought it was a good buy for him.

Ohhh, hehe. Ok then. Well Craig, sorry for that. But I should inform you that that would be a terrible purchase. If it's a 50mm f2.8, is it one of those oldschool manual focus lenses? If so, it's worth no more than $10, if even that. You can find better.

I think he's talking about a macro lens, and asking you if it's a good buy -- which was a compliment. As far as I'm aware, even in 2009 macro lenses don't get much faster than f/2.8.

Yes, if it's a macro then it'll be 2.8, right. His original question was worded in a way that made it sound like an advertisement. Really, I'm sorry Craig! Please don't be mad!

not bad, it looked great..

Oh here's one more I did.

9. This was out in a field. I saw the grass and I knew I needed a shot of it somehow. I set my softboxed flash on the ground behind this stalk of grass and fired into the light. In my opinion, it looks like something out of Space Odyssey: 2001. I ended up liking that you can see the softbox. It looks like the earth.
2715786827_c36f98a573_o.jpg

It was still daylight out. But at 1/1, the AF540 has just enough power to drown out ambient sunlight. That's why the background is black.

Some good stuff there. You had your creative thinking cap on for sure.

Great work! All are wonderful shots, but 1 and 3 are my favorites.

Ryan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back