I’m trying to figure out how to take shots like this?

Cismet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’m so new to photography I haven’t even purchased a camera yet, besides my iPhone. I love take pictures of the scenery I’m around when I travel and of my family and friends. I saw this picture and was so intrigued by how awesome it looked, with the snow and lighting that I was inclined to post this. Does anyone have an idea what camera would be needed to get a shot like this and perhaps, what needs to be adjusted? ISO range?

Image:
Instagram post by Lil Pump Jetski • Dec 10, 2017 at 7:29pm UTC

My guess is that was taken with available ambient light (lighted with the spotlight for the sign), probably taken with an iPhone or similar, and edited with a filter that creates a matte look.

If you want to take a photo that's similar to it, I'm assuming you want to create the same "feel" as in the image. How does the image speak to you? Figure that out and then try to recreate it.

Honestly, not very impressed with this shot.
Aspire to get better pictures, I know you can!

Want to know how to take good pictures ?
Well first learn photography basics meaning what is ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture so you can use the camera out of the safe yet limiting AUTO mode.
Then learn composition and keep practicing, practicing and more practicing.
Good luck

Instagram filters.

Agree, that's just a basic filter doing all the work.....play around with filter settings after you snap a few shots you like...you will soon find one that fits the style you are looking for.

While I agree that an Instagram filter was used, I disagree that it's a filter doing all the work. This photo is framed nicely with none of the sign or subject cut off. The subject was posed cleverly so that the available light could be used to show his face. A bit of noise but decent enough for the circumstances. Not bad for what is probably a phone shot.

I saw this picture and was so intrigued by how awesome it looked, with the snow and lighting that I was inclined to post this. Does anyone have an idea what camera would be needed to get a shot like this and perhaps, what needs to be adjusted? ISO range?

the lighting is from the spotlight used to light the sign (bottom right of photo) -- it was shot at dark. And was most likely captured from a cell phone and filtered to give it the blue look.

If you like this style, then you'll want to start learning about lighting a scene.

From my perspective, it's not about that camera. You can get this type of look with any camera. It's about the lighting and colors. Looking at the picture, there are only two primary colors: red and blue. Notice the clothing is practically all red against a snow white background. If you play around with HSL sliders or Split Toning in Adobe Lightroom, you can create a look that's very similar if not identical to this one. In terms of lighting, it's very possible he's using a LED light or changing the color temp in his camera to get more cool tones. Hope this helps!

I’m so new to photography I haven’t even purchased a camera yet, besides my iPhone. I love take pictures of the scenery I’m around when I travel and of my family and friends. I saw this picture and was so intrigued by how awesome it looked, with the snow and lighting that I was inclined to post this. Does anyone have an idea what camera would be needed to get a shot like this and perhaps, what needs to be adjusted? ISO range?

Image:
Instagram post by Lil Pump Jetski • Dec 10, 2017 at 7:29pm UTC

Most reactions

Back