image enlargement

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to work out how I can make large prints to go on my living room wall.

If I have an image printed out on 8x10, but then want to convert that into a larger high quality image is it a simple matter of using a decent scanner to scan it in and enlarge it?

For example, the 8x10 image printed at 300dpi, then scanned by a 1200dpi scanner, could the image then be printed out to 32x40 and still be a high quality image?

Cheers,
Steve.

Your ability to up-size is only as good as the highest resolution copy of the image. In this case, your 8x10 at 300dpi. The image will not go up in resolution if you scan it at 1200dpi. It's still a 300dpi shot.

So how do I do enlargements? I was hoping to be able to enlarge a shot from my 20D to around 24" ish.

There's no actual impediment to enlarging the shot. You could take the file and resample it to a larger canvas size at lower resolution. It may or may not look very good.

I've had images printed on canvas as low as 72dpi- gotta have a tight shot though. Looked pretty decent and even sold a few.

Most reactions

Back