Image file numbering discrepancy

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Photog38, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Photog38

Photog38 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Something weird seems to be going on with my picture file numbers. Not long ago I noticed that the file numbers were something like IMG_61XX. I thought this seemed off from what it had been. When I checked previous files, they were in the range of IMG_19XX. Its like my camera has added about 4000 to my previous file numbering. I don't think I changed any settings to cause this to happen. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    We can guess around a lot, but it would probably help if you told us what brand and model of camera you're talking about.

I guess you're saying it's not possible you've tripped the shutter 4100 times since you last looked?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. Photog38

Photog38 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course, it is the Canon 30D. I've taken nearly 2000 pictures and now all of a sudden it appears as if I've taken over 6000. I have no idea what could cause this.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do you delete images in the camera, or only once uploaded to your computer

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ticking over isn't the only thing that resets the naming convention. Did you play with folders, did you change the naming convention, did you change from sRGB to AdobeRGB or visaversa?

On my camera any one of these will reset or change the numbering convention. I think that if I hold the ? button while turning my camera on it may reset the numbering too. Cameras are full of quirky shortcuts like this.

6. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Actually it doesn't. Only Canon can tell you how many shutter activations have occurred. File numbering has nothing to do with it. You can set the camera to start with 0001 each time you insert a card, or to continue numbering from where it left off. If you put a CF card that was in another camera in that was not formated it will change the numbering system. There are lots of ways to change the file numbering. If you read the manual it will tell you the different file numbering methods and how to set them.

7. Photog38

Photog38 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the numbering all of a sudden started back at 0001, then I would assume that something like this happened. But the file numbers have jumped ahead by about 2000. Does anyone know of a way to turn back the number by 2000 (other than renaming all files after importing them)?

8. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Putting in a memory card that was in another camera is one quick and easy way.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check your menu, one of my cameras has an option for setting the starting number of the next photo.

Btw may I ask why? It makes no sense to me. The numbers a number. If you want to do anything productive with it other than having it increase automatically completely out of your control then rename the files on your computer using something like "Bulk Rename Utility" or some similar program.

10. Photog38

Photog38 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know it doesn't really matter, I just like to have everything be consistant.:mrgreen: I'm just picky about the small things like this; just a quirk of my character I guess.:mrgreen:

I'll check out the utility you mentioned.