Image from the gutter

It all started when I posted this subject and called it, “from the gutter.” Some thought that was insensitive. I think some also feel I may have exploited some of the homeless people I have photographed. It is politically incorrect to say anything negative about the homeless and that is what may have sparked this debate. If anyone would like to talk politics, or continue this discussion unedited with me, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Ok, you've all asked for it, its time for Chase's 2 cents (or maybe 10 cents if I drag this on too long).

My first thought to this whole situation is simply that this is life, it is reality...and sometimes reality isn't pretty. I don't find anything insensitive about basically documenting reality. If someone has an issue with the title, I can sort of understand it, but again...I think it is just reality. I don't think there was anything said or done that was degrading or in any way making light of the situation. If anything, I believe the title and image are a bit of an eye opener to a situation that people too often tend to overlook or shy away from.

As far as stopping and getting to know the person and so forth, I don't see a need for that to be a requirement. Would it be nice and thoughtful? Sure. Is it always a realistic expectation? Unfortunately, no.

Some photographers document struggle, whether it be homelessness or a million other forms of difficulty. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. Photographs like these may even stir enough emotion in people who view them to motivate them to go out and help someone. The only way I would have an issue with this sort of thing would be if they were being "exploited" for profit. If I see photojunky displaying these photos in an art gallery someplace and making money from these images, I wouldn't be comfortable with it. As it is now, in my opinion, he is simply documenting some of the struggle that goes on every day in places all over the world.

And once again, I will step down from my

:soapbox:

you can't even see the person's face.

as artists, we above all people need to stand up for the right to express ourselves.

sleeping_bum.jpg

tr0gd0o0r said:
But i was wondering why tou think photographing homeless is such a bad thing. I mean they are just people like everyone else. Do you feel guilty if you take pictures of someone who is walking down the street but has a nice job, house, etc.

Excellent point. There's no way folks would let Madonna get a nap on the sidewalk like this. And what paparazzi ever offered Britney Spears a buck and a coffee?

Why is it not okay to photograph the pan handlers and okay to photograph some little old lady waiting for the bus? If people hang out in public, they may get photographed. How the photographs are used for can be controlled by laws, but short of a cop declaring the photographer a threat to national security and bringing down the Patriot Act, I'm not familiar with any laws about photographing folks in public places.

Personally I find photos of the down-n-out boring. Maybe that's because I step over so many on my daily walk to work (my town is known as an easy touch). I find environmental portraits of people at work to be much more exciting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back