Image glow

vyan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!

I took some photos today at the pier during sunset. Notice there are some color glow in the images
i.e. green and purple around the tree branches and purple in the railing.

I use a Nikon D7100 with 35mm lens, my settings were 1/2000s f/1.8

What caused this and how can I fix it?

thank you!
0034.jpg

It looks like Chromatic Aberration (CA) which is caused by the various colors of light not hitting the focus point at the same time. Many lenses have this to one degree or another. A number of editors, like Lightroom will remove or minimize it. You would also do well to straighten the horizon at the same time.

1/2000 is far faster than the scene requires.

Shooting at f/1.8 is also out of line for the scene.

I'd have used 1/250 and f/8. That should take care of a lot of the CA.

Yeah, I have the nikon 35mm and chromatic aberrations are crazy on it. Its a lens issue and stopping down would relieve that a bit.

It looks like Chromatic Aberration (CA) which is caused by the various colors of light not hitting the focus point at the same time.
CA is caused by the various colors of light focusing at a slightly different distance.
Time has nothing to do with it.
CA is usually at it's worse when using a fast lens wide open, because optical corrections out towards the edges of the front lens element(s) are harder (more expensive) to accomplish.
Nikon's low priced, consumer grade AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G not only has lateral CA (purple fringing) wide open but the lens also loses contrast and focus sharpness. Stopping the lens down or or more stops helps a great deal.

Thanks a lot! Will definitely try stopping down

CA is caused by the various colors of light focusing at a slightly different distance.
Yes, thanks for pointing out my error.

Are you using LR? I'm sure it has that lens profile and can clean up the CA.

I use Adobe Camera Raw in PS.

Just played around with it and I think the CA is too strong. I'm able to make the Green and Purple go away but then it take the color away from the guy's skin

It looks like Chromatic Aberration (CA) which is caused by the various colors of light not hitting the focus point at the same time.

As the speed of light is something of a constant,* one would expect that light coming to a focus a small distance past light of a different frequency would arrive a tad later. You're both right in noting the time and the distance. It just happens that they're sometimes interchangeable.

* Constant for the particular medium in which it propagates.

I use Adobe Camera Raw in PS.

Just played around with it and I think the CA is too strong. I'm able to make the Green and Purple go away but then it take the color away from the guy's skin
Ps Camera Raw and LR's Develop module are the same software. Both have a Lens Correction panel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back