Image Quality Of This Graduated ND Filter (Comparison Shots)

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm wondering what you guys think of the image quality of this graduated ND filter, is it a keeper or not? Let me know if you need me to post different pictures (and of what), it does sufficiently darken the sky so I do know that for sure, this is strictly about image quality. Images shot with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 400ISO f/4 1/20.

With ND Filter:
4030657766_b3475297b1_b.jpg

Without ND Filter:
4029903989_75caa2fa17_b.jpg

Last edited:
smaller images please? took me 10 seconds to load.

Now that it's loaded what's the problem? Lol. Anyways, when judging the quality of the filter shouldn't it be a full size image?

There, resized. Now, did you guys actually have something to say about the quality of the filter or did you just come to complain about the file size?

first off, Your white balance is off.
secondly. Why use a ND filter in this situation?
I could see the force if there was an area that kept over-exposing or if you were trying to capture a bit of motion in the fan...
the only difference is the top one is darker.

I could see the force if there was an area that kept over-exposing or if you were trying to capture a bit of motion in the fan...

I think you misunderstand me, these pictures aren't meant to be artistic photos, they're just random pictures I took as a comparison for the image quality. I'm just wondering what someone with a more discerning eye than mine thinks of the clarity of this filter, that's all. I don't know if I need a picture of something or if I just need to take a picture of something simple like a piece of paper to best see the clarity of the filter so I just posted a random picture that I took with and without the ND filter attached.

I think you misunderstand me, these pictures aren't meant to be artistic photos, they're just random pictures I took as a comparison for the image quality. I'm just wondering what someone with a more discerning eye than mine thinks of the clarity of this filter, that's all. I don't know if I need a picture of something or if I just need to take a picture of something simple like a piece of paper to best see the clarity of the filter so I just posted a random picture that I took with and without the ND filter attached.

I can't see much of a difference. It looks like the top one with the filter is slightly brighter, and maybe a bit sharper. But thats my untrained eye.

So this $35 tiffen ND filter is decent then? No one thinks it looks unclear?

I understand what you're trying to do, but this "test" isn't going to tell you anything. Head outside on a sunny day, point into the sun, and shoot a bright, shiny patch of water. As well, there should be something such as the leaves on a tree by which you can accurately judge sharpness.

I understand what you're trying to do, but this "test" isn't going to tell you anything. Head outside on a sunny day, point into the sun, and shoot a bright, shiny patch of water. As well, there should be something such as the leaves on a tree by which you can accurately judge sharpness.
Hmm, ok, as soon as it's nice out again I'll get a couple comparison shots then bump this thread or make a new one. Like I said, I wasn't sure what I should be getting shots of for this comparison.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back