Image Recovery/Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

antorickle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's my issue and I'm wondering if someone on here can address my issue.

I used an SD card on my digital camera...took about 1100 pictures from a recent vacation...at the time... I would get previews of the images I took immediately afterwards but shortly thereafter, my camera would tell me "unable to playback image" .. stupid on my part, I didn't think anything about it and continued on.

When I put the SD card in my reader and tried loading them on the computer... I get the following message for each image... "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer."

Photo Viewer is up to date... the format on the images are jpgs... they all have various file sizes so there is indeed something there.... I assumed my SD card somehow got corrupted... I've tried at least 10 different image recovery software programs... with zero luck when it comes to these particular images. Either they tell me invalid files found..or no images found etc etc...

I'm at the point where I feel like my only 2 options are to take the SD card to shop and see if they can somehow recover the photos for me... or format the SD card and then try running the recover software. I currently have all the images still on the SD card and saved to my computer.... but I'm trying to take my problems to various forums to see if someone out there can help me before I either spend a bunch of money in vain... or wipe the SD card leaving no hope of recovery from there.

Thank you...

I suspect your card is so f'd up that you won't recover many, if any, of your 1100 vacation photos.

The memory card in a camera is intended to be used as short term storage.
Deleting photos from the card to make room for more photos usually corrupts image files on the card, because image content varies the file size of each file on the card.

I had an external drive go ape$#!t and would not mount on either OS-X nor Windows. I finally was able to recover them but I had to boot from a flash drive to Linux, then run the Linux version of a recovery program. Linux, for whatever reason, was able to see the external drive.

I was able to recover most (not all) of the images. The down sides were that the files were renamed and even thumbnails were recovered and saved so I have to go through and look at the image properties to delete the duplicates.

If it's something you think you might want to try, I'll look for the details and get them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back